Not What It Looks Like

Amanda's POV

I wake up with a pair of strong arms around my waist and the sound of soft and steady breathing with an occasional snore. I can feel the scruff of Daryl's goatee on the back of my neck and I can't help the shiver that runs down my spine. My mind wanders to places it shouldn't go. I find myself thinking about his lips against mine pressed together in the shower room back at the CDC.

I wonder why he kissed me like that, why he let the thought of being allowed to kiss me into his head but shake them away as soon as I catch them.

"Daryl." I whisper harshly hoping he will wake up and remove his hold on my waist so I can get up but he answers me with another snore, "Daryl, get up!" I hiss.

Daryl's grip tightens around me and pulls me closer to him and he lets out a moan against my neck, "Shut up Merle".

I ignore the butterflies that are swarming in my stomach from his hold on me and try not to giggle at him thinking I am his brother.

It's cute when he sleep talks...

Without warning, I bring my elbow hard into his stomach and brace myself for the anger that he'll have.

I hear him cough and grunt in pain before I turn to see him glaring at me, "the hell woman!"

Daryl lets go and holds his stomach and I find myself laughing when I see his red face. His face softens after a few moments but I can see traces of irritation.

"If you wanted me to wake up, all you had to do was shake my shoulder." He mutters.

"But that's no fun." I whine.

"Well that was a jerk move, even for you." He rubs his stomach.

"Did I hurt the little Dixon?" I taunt. His eyes narrow into slits and his lips press into a hard line. I can almost see the irritation poking through him, it's funny.

"Hardly." He mutters through gritted teeth.

I smirk again, "Well get your ass up, we have a long day of searching ahead of us." I stand up and smirk at him.

"C'mon, everyone's probably waiting for us." I whine.

Daryl sighs, "fine."

He sure knows how to get on my nerves.

*Time Skip*

"I'll prove you wrong." I growl.

"You've got a lot to prove to me, girl." He stares at me. My heart flutters when I meet his eyes.

I jump to my feet to avoid any awkward moments.

Daryl finally stands up.

I blink away the thoughts. I unzip the tent and walk towards the RV; Carol greets me with a small smile that looks forced and she hands me a stack of clothes.

"I figured they were your size," she mutters, "and that you'd want to change out of these clothes." She sends me another weak smile,

"Thank you," I say as I take them. I look into her eyes knowing I should say something, "Carol, I promise that I won't stop searching for your little girl." Carol looks down and I can see a small tear escape the corner of her eye.

"I know." Is all she says before she turns and walks away.

My heart tugs with grief and disappointment in myself, I feel like I've failed Carol and Sophia and I can't bring myself to tell Carol that Sophia was safe with me until I let myself rest for one moment. I take the clothes and walk back to Daryl's tent before zipping the tent closed behind me. The clothes are all black and they're my size.