Chapter 12 (Edited)

Three days have passed, and I could tell that most everyone was feeling glad that we had finally found a place to stay safe. We did not have to move around and hide, nor did we have to go out and hunt for food. We were slowly gaining weight, and I hoped that we wouldn't lose it.

But... something was wrong. Something was wrong with Katie. I knew that it was because of Drake's Beta, but I didn't know what. I could sense that she was hurting, and I knew that her mind was all over the place because she had been silent and sometimes not paid attention to meetings we had.

I woke up from my light slumber and sat up, my heart pounding. I had no idea what had woken me, but I knew something was going to happen. I didn't know if that something was good or bad.

'Katie,' Payton said, causing me to leap out of the bed and scramble to get shit together for her. Worry filled her voice, and I could tell that she knew what had happened. Pain, also, filled her voice, and I knew that this might be the last night I get to see my best friend for a while.

Silently, after I had gotten everything together, I opened my bedroom door and made my way to the kitchen. I could see the light of the fridge illuminating the kitchen and smelt Katie's scent.

The blonde headed female closed the fridge and jumped when she saw I was leaning against the wall beside it. Her heart pounded in her chest, and I could smell the fear that she was trying to hide. "Sk-" She stopped talking when I held up my hand.

"Did you find your mate?" I asked, causing the female to look down and nod her head. "Were you ever going to tell me?"

"He-" She sighed and shook her head. "No."

"He rejected you, didn't he?" I asked, searching her face for clues. Anger surged in the pits of my stomach, and I really wanted to hurt him. How dare he reject my best friend.

Katie hesitated but nodded. "Please don't hurt him," she blurted. "I-I don't..."

I gritted my teeth but nodded my head. "Fine," I said. "But, I am going to punch him in the nose. I won't hurt him as bad as I want to."

Katie nodded her head and tucked a piece of hair behind her ear. "I can't stay here," she said, her voice barely above a whisper. "He- he-" She shook her head and sighed, lifting her head up. Pain etched it's way on her face, and I could tell that she was trying not to cry.

"He had sex with someone?" I asked, remembering her screams of pain yesterday. I had tried to get into the room, but she had begged Jerecho to not let me in. My nostrils flared. I really wanted to kick his ass now.

She hesitated but nodded. "He doesn't want me because I am a Rogue," she whispered. "I-I can't stay here," she said, again. "I-I-"

"I know," I said. I handed her the bag that I had packed for her. "Put your bag in here. It'll hold it."

"But, that is the bag that Jerecho gave you..."

"And, I can get another one later. He has a restaurant in town, and I know that Drake wants to meet him. Jerecho probably wants to threaten Drake, anyways."

Katie nodded her head and cleared her throat. She gave me a hug, causing me to stiffen before hugging her close to me. "Thank you for understanding," she whispered.

I held her close and placed a kiss on her forehead. I blinked back the tears, because I was loosing my best friend, and I did not know if I would be able to see her again. "I don't want you to go, but I know that you have to see the world," I said, my voice cracking. I took a deep, shuddering breath. My heart was breaking, but I knew that I needed to make sure that she was safe, even if it means letting her go. "Do not kill yourself. Do you hear me? I can't lose you too."

Katie pulled back and gave me a watery smile. Her lips quivered, and I could tell that she was trying to stay strong as I was. "I won't," she promised. "I can't let you stay here by yourself with that crazy cousin of yours."

I snorted and wiped her eyes when tears leaked from them. "Come, I will lead you to the pack entrance. I will make sure that Jerecho knows to keep an eye on you, all right?"

Katie nodded her head. She handed me the bag she packed, and I placed it in there. She took the bag from me and placed it on her back.

I studied her before nodding my head and walking towards the door. I stayed silent and walked towards the entrance with Katie following me. I could tell that she was ready to get out of here, and she was scared of leaving me. I was scared of her leaving as well, but I knew I had to. I had to let her go if it meant that she would still be alive.