Chapter 48 (Edited)

Light appeared as soon as I had entered the room, and the door closed behind me with a loud bang.

I looked back with a scowl before walking forward. My whole body was tense, and I could feel someone or something watching.

No sound was heard except for my breathing which sounded loud in my ears. My heartbeat sounded loud, also, going thump, thump, thump with each step that I took.

I stopped in front of a grand archway and looked to see a dragon in front of me covered in dust and looking like stone.

The dragon's eyes were closed, and I couldn't tell if it was breathing. The dragon, a he, could have been asleep or stone, and I would have not known the difference.

He was guarding something, his tail wrapped around a stone and in it sat a sword.

"Oh, you have got to be kidding me," I said, my voice shaking as if I was laughing. An image of King Arthur with the sword in the stone filled my mind, and I had a feeling that I had to do what he had done.

The dragon's eye that was facing me opened before closing again, probably thinking that I wouldn't know. Again, he was still and moved nothing.

"I saw that," I said, taking my gaze away from the sword. I ignored its call, knowing that this dragon could kill me if I went close to it without his permission.

The dragon didn't move a muscle, causing me to purse my lips in annoyance.

"You might have all the time in the world, but I do not," I said, blowing out of my nose.

Again, the dragon didn't move, causing me to growl out in annoyance.

"Gods, give me strength," I muttered, moving a hand across my face. "I don't have time for this shit."

The dragon opened his eye and looked at me. His red eye was rimmed with gold, and power radiated off of him. Not a word was spoken as we stared at each other, waiting for the other to make a move.

Finally, the dragon stood and shook out his body, dust and stone flying off of it. As soon as the dust settled, I saw that the dragon was laying down again but his eyes were open.

"Who are you?" he asked, his voice soft and hard. "How did you enter my lair?"

"I... walked," I replied, causing him to growl. "Well, ran from the Palace of the Gods."

He frowned and narrowed his eyes. "Are you trying to steal my sword?" he asked, shifting his body around it more.

I shook my head. "It is calling me," I replied, honestly. I frowned when all he did was lift his head and not say a word. I could tell that he was curious about me, wondering what and who I was. "But, I am sure that you would kill me if I went near it."

He lifted his head and moved his long neck until it was a few inches in front of me. He breathed in before breathing out, encircling me with a breath of smoke. "You smell weird," he said. "Half dog and half God."

I gritted my teeth when he called me "dog". Annoyance flashed through my eyes, but I didn't do anything to him. "That is because I am half Werewolf and half God," I replied, coldly. "Is that a problem?"

The dragon shook his head and laid it back on his paws. He was curious about me, and I could tell that he knew something. "There are legends about a Half-Breed," he said, causing me to raise my eyebrows. "She is said to be born from two Alpha parents and has the blood of a couple of Gods that can't bear any children themselves. She is said to be the next Godkiller and to bring right to what had been wronged." He paused. "Are you she?"

I nodded my head. "I am," I confirmed. I stood straighter and set my jaw. "My name is Skylar Julia Ross, and the daughter of Alpha Nathaniel Parker and Emma Rose Ross, and I am the daughter of Jerecho the Bold and Moria the Kind. And now, can I get my damn sword?"