Chapter 37 (Edited)

I sat at Ben's side, flicking through the book that Luna had thrown at him. It had been two days since everything had happened, and I had to finally come clean as to what and who I was. I had to make sure that none of the other pack was there because they didn't need to know.

"You know that you are going to have to tell them," someone said, walking into the room. "They deserve to know as well."

"He will have people on his side that are in that pack. I don't think you want me to die, do you?" I asked, not looking at the person. I flicked through the book again before tossing it on the nightstand that was in the room. A headache appeared out of nowhere, and I was sure because I hadn't really eaten anything in two days.

"I thought you knew that it is hard to kill a God," the person replied. "The Shazarak's poison is very fast to my children."

I looked up to see Luna standing there, looking rather tired. I could see her looking through Ben's medical history, her eyes holding this grave look in them. "But, I am not a God," I replied. "I am an apprentice."

"You are more than just an apprentice, Skylar," she said. She closed the folder and placed it back where she had found it. "You are even more than a Godkiller."

"Gee isn't that just dandy," I replied, sarcastically. I took a deep breath and moved a hand through my hair. "Ok, what am I?" I asked, leaning back in my seat. "Or can you tell me?"

"You know that I can't," she replied. "I have orders that I have to follow. Just like you have orders that you need to follow."

I pursed my lips and nodded my head. I studied the face of my Beta, his eyes closed as if he were sleeping and not in a medically induced coma. "Did she feel the bullet?" I asked, looking up at the Moon Goddess.

Luna shook her head. "She does know that he has been hit by a bullet," she replied. "However, I told her not to come and have Jethro watch her to make sure that she doesn't do anything stupid."

I nodded my head and licked my lips before looking at him. "He is scared to love Katie, isn't he?" I asked, causing Luna to nod her head. "Is it because of his mother and the relationship that she had with his father?"

"Yes," she replied, nodding her head. She moved to his side and placed a hand on his forehead. Her hand glowed gold before it transferred over to Ben and surround him in a shroud of golden light. "But, I think that he is the one that should tell you what happened. Not me."

I nodded my head, staying silent. I already knew that she wouldn't tell me what Ben's parents had done to make him fear love. I knew that it was Ben's story to tell, and I prayed that he would be able to tell me.

"Be careful with that Shazarak," Luna warned, backing away from Ben. She gave me a pointed look. "Don't try killing him just yet. I know that you want revenge, but you will have to wait until you can kill Mahlkha for it."

I nodded my head. "I will just injure him more then," I replied. "Or let him die slowly until I can get to Mahlkha and kill him."

"But, first, you need to make a sacrifice of your own to get to him." She nodded to the book that was on the nightstand. "Blood usually works." And with that, she disappeared.

Ben sat up with a gasp, waking. He touched the spot where he had been shot before looking at me. He furrowed his brows and blinked back the grogginess. "Am... I dead?" he asked, causing me to shake my head.

"No," I said, causing him to sink back into the pillows. "You are alive."

"Those things?"

"They're called Shazarak. They're his creations. I killed all but one."

"Will you torture it?"

"Of course," I replied.

Ben closed his eyes, and I could tell that he would be all right. "Good," he whispered. His whole body was relaxed, and I could tell that he just needed some sleep before he could face the pack. "Katie?" he whispered, his voice so low that I didn't catch it.

"She's alive. She didn't feel the bullet."

"Good," he whispered. "Wake me up in an hour. I just need to rest my eyes..."

I nodded my head and stood. I knew that he would be all right here by himself for a minute. I needed to inform my mate that he was alive and well. I grabbed the book that was on the nightstand and started to make my way to the office where I knew my mate would be.

Hopefully, he would be able to know what Luna means by a blood sacrifice...