Chapter 35 (Edited)

Getting Vigrel out was easy, too easy with the way that Nathaniel had been acting beforehand. He was almost nonexistent for that day as well as a couple of days after, and I was getting very anxious. He was planning something, and I had no idea what.

I was helping my, well Drake's and my, pack train, trying to keep my mind off of Nathaniel. I knew that this pack would be targeted because both Nathaniel and Mahlkha knew how much they meant to me. I had no idea why they meant so much to me, but I was sure that it was because of my position in the pack. It didn't help that I was an Alpha born, so the protectiveness of others was always there.

"You alright?" Ben asked, walking over to me. He stood beside me, taking his position at my side. His behavior around me has changed, and I could tell that he was taking on becoming a better Beta seriously. He was respecting me, and slowly but surely, I was learning to trust him. "I have been feeling your anxiety for a couple of days."

"He's planning something," I replied, causing him to nod. "I don't like it." I glanced at him from the corner of my eye and could tell that he looked better than he had been since Jerecho had placed the spell on him. "You are looking better," I commented, looking at the pack as they trained. "Stronger even."

Ben nodded his head and sighed. "I feel better," he said, licking his lips. He cleared his throat and shifted on his feet and looked down. "I want to apologize for my behavior," he said, looking at me, finally. "I..." He furrowed his brows and cleared his throat again, trying to find his voice.

I turned to look at him and could tell that he didn't know how to say whatever he wanted to say. "You don't have to tell me," I said, softly. "Yet at least. I do want to know why you were such an asshole to Katie."

Ben nodded his head. "And, I know that you need to know. I just... I want to tell Katie later on. I... I don't want you to tell her."

I nodded my head. "Understood," I replied. My whole body grew tense as I looked around. I felt something weird. "Do you feel that?" I asked, causing Ben to tense and look around.

Danger filled the air around me, but I had no idea where the danger was coming from. I heard a click of something and turned to look in that direction.

"Look out," Ben yelled as soon as there was a loud bang. He jumped in front of me, and after that, all hell broke loose.