Chapter 30 (Edited)

Who misses the questions and riddles?

Lemme know.

Peace

~Rissa

_____________________________________________________________________________

I leaned back in my seat and stared at him. I kept my face blank, making sure that he didn't know what I was thinking. I hadn't heard of the Insami Meir Pack, and I couldn't help but wonder as to why not. I was fairly familiar with all of the packs in the States as well as some in both Canada and Mexico.

"I think you have heard about us, before," Jethro said. "But from your silence, you had either forgotten or had your memory erased."

"Probably memory being erased," I replied, coldly. "Did you want to see my powers or..?"

Jethro shrugged his shoulder. "I believe you," he replied. He flicked through the children's book and pointed to a girl (who looked like me) holding a book. "Do you finally have the book?" he asked. "We tried to keep it safe but..." He shrugged and grimaced.

"Jerecho has it," I replied. "He's... a friend of mine." I cleared my throat and licked my lips glancing away from him. "He's a God so..." I shrugged.

"You know a God?" Jethro asked, acting more like a kid rather than an Alpha. He cleared his throat, causing me to raise an eyebrow. "I mean... of course you do." Again, he cleared his throat and looked away.

"I know a couple of them," I replied. The hair on the back of my neck stood up. "May I?" I asked. "He's close but waiting on permission."

Jethro frowned and cocked his head in confusion. "Why doesn't he just appear?" he asked. "He's a God."

"And, I am a female with an attitude," I replied. "He knows better than to appear without permission. The last time he did that, I almost threw an Alpha at him."

"Why?" Jethro asked and nodded his head, indicating that I could.

"He was the closest thing to me, and... I was trying to get information." I shrugged my shoulder, again, before lifting my head. "You can come in, now," I said. "Bring the book with you."

Jerecho did what I had told him to do and appear. He scowled at me before handing the book to me. "It's not like I wanted to," he grumbled, causing me to arch an eyebrow. "I didn't like what he was trying to do."

"I know," I replied, taking the book from him. "I don't know the language," I said, changing the subject back to this. I tried to hand the book over to Jethro only for him to back up and shake his head.

"I can't touch the book," he explained, causing me to raise an eyebrow. "Only the God Killer and her "Master" can touch it."

"Master?" I asked. I pursed my lips and wrinkled nose in disgust. The thought of having a "Master" didn't sit well with neither my Wolf nor I. "If you are talking about Jerecho, he is more like a... teacher than a Master."

"Mainly because you don't listen to what I have to say," he said. "Luna touched it," he said. "Does it not affect Gods?"

"It does," Jethro replied. "Are you sure she touched it?"

"She threw it at me," he grumbled. "I am sure you have to touch something to throw it."

"She is a Goddess," I said. "Are you sure she didn't throw it telepathically?"

Jerecho opened his mouth to respond but closed it. He shrugged his shoulder, and I could tell that he hadn't really been paying attention.

"You just didn't want to get hit," I muttered. "How am I supposed to read it? Is there is a code or something?" I asked, again, bringing it back to the conversation.

"You will have to figure that one out on your own," Jethro said, smiling apologetically. "What I can tell you that it does need a sacrifice."

I scowled but didn't comment as I looked at the book again. "Do you have any other books?" I asked, glancing up at him. "Preferably in English?"

Jethro nodded his head and smiled, sadly. "I can't give them to you," he said, almost apologetically. "They ordered me not to."

"Who?" Jerecho asked. "And, why?" Anger and annoyance flashed across his face, and the air around us thickened. "Who would tell you not to help her?"

I placed my thumb over the emblem and rubbed it. I could feel power emitting from it, and I could tell that this book had been passed down from different people. "The Council," I said, looking up at Jethro. "They told you not to help me."

Jethro nodded his head. "They want to make sure that you are the one. There have... been others like you. Sort of."

I arched an eyebrow but didn't ask him to expand on that thought. I took a deep breath and let it out, my thoughts going a mile a minute.

I had no idea as to why I was "chosen" or whatever I had to do. I wasn't special, and there wasn't anything that made me different than someone else that "looked" like me.

"I do have a question to ask of you," I said, looking at Jethro. "If you can answer it."

Jethro hesitated but nodded. "What is it?" he asked.

I licked my lips, my mouth feeling dry. I was nervous, anxious even. I had no idea if I wanted to know this answer or not, but I knew that I was going to have to ask it. I had to know, even if it was something he couldn't answer.

"Why me?" I asked, my voice clear. "Why was I chosen for this job?"