Chapter 13 (Edited)

I stormed to the packhouse, ignoring the snarls of pack members that tried to stop me. My eyes were a dangerous color, and I knew that my rank was showing by the fact no one tried to stop me by attacking.

Ben and Drake came out the house, both of them looking confused. Ben looked frightened, and I was sure that he knew that I knew what had happened between Katie and him. His whole body was tense, and he looked around, trying to find a way to escape my anger.

"You son of a bitch," I snarled, anger coursing through my body from the past few years. Pain and anger was etched in my eyes and face, and Drake had to pull me back before I started to attack his Beta. "She gone because of you!" I exclaimed, trying to get to him. My whole body was shaking, and I tried to keep from crying. She was gone, and I had no idea if she would be able to live through the days by herself.

"What happened?" Drake asked. "Settle down," he called to his pack when they tried to get to me. "She is... a guest." He got me to look at him and moved a strand of hair from my face. Worry filled his eyes as he studied me. "Skylar, what happened?" His voice and touch calmed me a bit, but I was angry and trying not to go feral.

"Katie," I said, closing my eyes. My whole body shook from rage, and I could feel my body heat up. I stuffed my face into his neck, and I could vaguely hear people whisper things that sounded like I was his mate. My wolf calmed down, but I knew that she would attack any moment.

Drake stiffened and grimaced. He knew that I cared about her, and I would do anything to protect her and the small group I had taken under my wings. "What happened to her?" he asked. "Is she alive."

"She left," I replied. I looked up and glared at Ben. "Because you rejected her. Why?"

"She is a Rogue," Ben replied. "We do not-"

"Do not give me that bullshit," I said, interrupting him. "She is, or was, your mate first and then a Rogue."

"She ha-"

"You had sex with someone other than your mate before and after you met her," I interrupted, causing him to flinch. "She only slept with one person, because she knew that we needed the money."

Ben gulped and looked at Drake before looking at me. "At least, I am not some slut trying to get into my Alpha's pants

I tugged on Drake's shirt to keep him from doing anything. I was glad that my claws went back in, because I did not want them to see me feral. I did not want to hurt my mate, more than I had in the past.

Drake kept his arms around me while I turned to face Ben. His whole body was tense, and I could feel deep rumbles going through his stomach. He wanted to hurt his Beta for saying that and for trying to get the pack to turn against me.

"I was more of a prostitute, Benjamin," I said, my voice leveled and deadly. My nostrils flared in anger, and the only thing that was holding me back from attacking him was Drake. "Was as in I stopped because I was accepted by my mate, your Alpha. I accepted him as my mate, and I would not do anything to hurt him."

Ben gulped, and I could see the doubt and fear in his eyes. He knew that I was feral and dangerous when pissed. He knew that the only thing that was holding me back from attacking him was the fact that Drake had his arms wrapped around me.

I shook my head, angry and disappointed. "You lost my trust and respect, Benjamin. If that girl kills herself, you better run far, far away from here."

Ben stood taller, and I could feel the restlessness of the pack around me. "And if I don't?" he asked, his voice shaking a bit. He was trying to show that he wasn't afraid of me, but we both knew that he was. We both knew that he would submit if I ever did attack him.

I smirked, my eyes flashing to those of my wolf. "You will wish that you never rejected the girl that I had been protecting for the past thirteen years."

With that, I got out of Drake's grasp and walked back to my band of misfits. I knew that I was going to have to tell the group and prayed that Thomas wouldn't do anything stupid.

***

He stared at the end of the driveway, his face stoic. His eyes were filled with pain and grief, and I knew that he figured out that Katie had left and thought that I left with her.

I blinked back the tears as I took in my cousin and sniffed, causing the older male to look at me. My lip quivered when I saw the relief in his eyes and him opening his arms to pull me into a hug.

Thomas wrapped his arms around me as I ran into them and rubbed my back. He did not say a word, only giving me the comfort that I needed. "I thought you left, also" he whispered, his voice cracking. "Maddi was trying to find you but..."

"I took her to the edge of the border and half way through No Man's Land," I said, feeling slightly guilty for causing Thomas worry. "I wouldn't have left or gone long from the pack." I lifted my face from where it laid and glanced at my mate to see him looking at me, his eyes filled with grief and guilt.

Thomas squeezed me one last time before letting me go. "Wanna get food from Jerecho? I know that he wants to hear this from you as soon as possible."

I nodded my head and looked at Drake. "Tell Ben to get ready. He will be coming with us. You are too. I think Jerecho wants to talk to you."

There was a bit of hesitation in his gaze while he nodded his head. His Adam's Apple bobbed in his throat, and I was sure that he was nervous. "When will we leave?" he asked.

"In an hour. The others need to get ready as well. And I need a shower."