8. Blood on the Leaves

***

I was carrying Andrew on my shoulders when someone attacked Blades from behind. She was quick and sharp but because of that, she didn't notice the wound on her shoulder.

"It's alright! I'm fine!" She seems unaffected but when I stole glance on her, I can see a stinging expression she hides.

I laid Andrew on the ground and ripped my shirt in long strips using it to bandage Blades' wound. She smiled wryly and helped her to stand up.

"We have to head back to the camp. We need the first aid kit for Andrew and Blades." I talked to the officers and they agreed but refused to be the one to go back. I pulled Marky with me to sneak in the camp to take the kit.

The sun has already set down but no one started a bonfire. I signaled Marky to stay where he is as I crawled silently on the ground going to the officers' tents.

I succeeded but when I checked the kits, someone's axe is pointed on the skin of my neck. The blood rushed on my head making me hard to breath.

"Stupid brother." I heard Jen and she removed the axe from my neck.

"Who is it?!" I heard a whisper from the other corner of the tent.

"It's Jersey!" She answered back by whispering.

I pulled Jen's arm and tried to convince her to run away with Kristine.

"You shouldn't be here. You'll put more danger in these camp. You have to run to ask for help. Blades is already injured."

"Blades?! Oh no! What should we tell Edward?!"

"Don't tell him. Just go now!" I pushed them as they disappear into the dark night.

I packed some foods and water and gave it to Marky which he immediately took and went back to the group. I carried some weapons and additional food including the first aid kit before leaving.

We are lucky it wasn't cold season so we don't need jackets or blankets. All we need is food and water plus medicine.

We helped Andrew and Blades aid their injuries with the lights out. We removed her upper clothings and four people needs to clutch her legs and arms to resist her from moving.

"This will be painful, Blades." I put my belt on her mouth between her teeth and poured the hydrogen peroxide on her wound. She bit hard, screaming while her body is struggling. I cleansed her wound and put the betadine on the gauze. I finished dressing her wound and left her sleep under the roots of the tree.

Early morning, we started to move and found a cave. "I think we have to leave Andrew here. Andrew, you will be safe here. We will come as soon as the war ends." The officer patted Andrew's shoulder and looked at Blades.

"She seems she has quickly recovered. Are you sure you can move like normal?" Blades proudly made a circular dance with her arms and hands showing she's just fine.

I held her shoulder and pulled her close to me giving a toss with our temples. "Thanks, doctor." She smiled and we left the stock of food with Andrew.

" She smiled and we left the stock of food with Andrew