20. Desperado

"Auntie, I'm so sorry." My tears flooded while I heard the whole story. She looked at me with a sad smile.

"Don't be sorry. I was born to protect you, Bonny. You are the best part of my life. Now, get the chest under this bed."

I followed her instruction and cleaned the chest before showing it to her. She opened it and rummaged the things inside. There were leaves, scraps of papers and rubbish. When she found what she was looking for, she showed it to me.

"This pouch contains your belongings." She held it up side down so the contents will be shown. "It's the ring of Ron, from your great grandfather and the seal of Lycoris from your great grandmother." She returns it back to the brownish green pouch and tied it. She formed it into a necklace and honored it to me. "Hide it. Never show it to anyone. Let your identity remains a secret. If you hear the word Barblood, remember, they're one of us. They're your cousins. Stay with them if you get a chance."

I nod and slept beside her after that. The morning came. The sun is already peeking behind the gaps on the walls.

"Auntie, it's time to wake up. Let's take a little bit of sunshine on your skin." I slowly sit down on the bed and looked at her. She didn't moved even a little breath.

I shook her body to wake her. "Auntie, come on." I shook her harder but she didn't opened her eyes. "Please, don't play games with me." My tears begin to flood in my eyes and waited for her to say she's joking. I touched her neck to check on her but in disappointment, she's already cold. Her skin began to pale and freeze.

"No!" I opened the door and run as fast as I can with no direction. "No!" I screamed outside and everyone's attention came on me. "Jude." I remembered him so I went to the bakery to tell him.

"Jude!" I quickly looked for him as soon as I opened the door

"Jude!" I quickly looked for him as soon as I opened the door. I saw him talking to his mom and I immediately went to hug him.

"Bonny, what's wrong?" He was surprised with my sudden move and responded to my action.

"My mother, Lenie, she's dead." I cried infront of them and his mother, Rita, consoled me.

"We will help you arrange her funeral." She said and left the two of us.

Auntie Rita was very kind to help me. They gave my aunt a decent funeral and let me stay with them for a night.

The days without auntie Lenie was so cruelly cold. In order to ease the pain, Jude and I were always busy running and jumping on the rooftops before and after our duties.

One night, we saw a starving kid lying on the ground. The kid couldn't move any longer. His eyes were bulging and his mouth was salivating. I stare at Jude and he did thesame.

"No, Bonny. No!" He tried to stop me but I already jumped from roof top to the next top until I saw a vendor busy from counting its money.

I crawled on the floor and grabbed five apples one by one and inserted it on my sling bag. I run away climbing back to the rooftops until I was back where Jude was.