21. The Moonlight Bandits

"What is going on here?" His mother came with a tray of two cups of tea. She placed it on top of the bed and gave one to me. "I thought you're already asleep." She looked at Jude who's still laughing.

"He said that I should remove his pants and clean it too." I pouted my lips and stared at her.

"You're so naughty, Jude!" She whipped Jude with her palm and he laughingly avoided it. "You're very bossy. Why don't you do it by yourself?" He scolded at him and he gets up to remove his pants and copied what I did with his jacket.

I slept beside his mother that night. The next night came, we started gathering children and stealing food and money. There were five kids living in my house already. I always advice them to behave while I'm gone. I cooked for them every meal and they started growing up healthy.

One day, aunt Lenie's sister came. She's claiming the house that's left for me.

"If you won't give me the house, you have to pay me!" She angrily threatened me and I sensed that she's only after the money

"If you won't give me the house, you have to pay me!" She angrily threatened me and I sensed that she's only after the money. "Give me ten coins everyday and I will stop bothering you!" Her shrill voice pricked my ears and she left.

I went inside the house and the kids I rescued were clutching with each other. It's a heartbreaking scene watching them with their eyes filled with fear.

"I won't give up this house. I promise." I kneeled on the floor and they quickly embraced me. Years went by, we added more of them. Even if we're crowded, I didn't stop supporting them. I'm always empty handed and my savings were not enough.

Jude and I helped each other collect moneys by stealing around and earning from our jobs. We became expert and no one noticed us. I don't know how much I have spent on paying the house. Ten coins is too much so I gave up paying it.

"Auntie, please, let's make it five coins. It's very expensive. I'm only earning six coins a day." I learned to lie but no matter what I do, it's not going to work on her. She's very greedy even if she doesn't have the right to own her sister's house. In fact, I earn fifteen coins a day and minimum of twenty five coins from stealing.

"Aha! Then leave the house to me. I have kids to feed and you're useless to me. Pack your things and live in the streets!" She mercilessly said and walked away.

"What are you going to do now? There's already fifteen of them. Even if you have the house, it wouldn't be enough. Why don't you give it up and we will set up a camp?" Jude adviced me after I told him what happened.

"I refused giving her money for one month and she thought I have debt on her. I don't want wasting money for her greediness. Why was she different from auntie Lenie? They're exactly opposite." I frowned and Jude pats my back. "You're right. We should start setting up the camp in the forest."