Chapter 13

October 8, 2009

6:34 p.m.

I just returned from the psychologist. Today he told me I couldn’t write during the session. That was his fool attempt to make me to speak. This writing shit was his idea and now he forbids me to. What the fuck is wrong with him? Anyways. Maybe I’m approaching to Alex. Maybe she is finally letting her guard down, allowing me to enter her lives and that dark part where she keeps all her secrets.

In the morning, when I got to school after walking ten blocks, Audrey went straight towards me. She smiled as if the best thing had happened to her, or in her case, like if worse thing had happened to someone.

“Niall, what you did to Alex?” She asked putting her arm around my shoulders and standing on the tips of her toes to be up with me.

“Why do you ask?”

“She has been acting weir since breakfast.”

I frowned. Had she been so affected about yesterday?

“I did something to her, but I didn’t think it would affect her so much,” I excused.

“Well, I have to congratulate you,” she laughed, patted my back and then went to where the others were.

I took a quick look and I realized that Alex wasn’t there, I pursed my lips. I adjust my backpack on right shoulder and entered the building. I quickly took my things from my locker and I headed to biology class. I had this class with Alex. She was sitting at the same table from the previous class. In biology we couldn’t change places so I would have to sit with her for the rest of this school year.

She had her head lying on the table as she stared into nothingness. I sighed and sat down beside her. Alex didn’t make a move. I took a lock of her hair and tangled it around my finger. She did nothing to get rid of me and I found that odd.

“Hey,” I called her and she turned to see me.

“I thought that you didn’t want to sit with me,” she said.

“I don’t have other option. What’s wrong with you?” I asked her and she only closed her eyes.

I realized that purple circles were around her eyes, a sign of a bad night’s sleep. Her hair was soft; I had been playing with the lock of hair without noticing. I released her hair.

“Aren’t you going to talk to me?” I asked.

She opened her eyes and looked at me. Her brown eyes watched me intently.

“What do you want me to tell you?” She asked in a whisper.

“I want you to tell me why you are acting so weird.”

“'I've been here for almost two weeks, you don’t know me enough to know if I'm acting weird,” she said.

“Well, I’ve seen you in underwear. I think I know you enough,” I whispered raising my brows a couple of times. She smiled slightly.

“I don’t want to talk about it,” she said.

All began to enter the classroom. I made a face. I would have to continue the conversation at another time. She sat up straight and took out her books.

Alex continued acting strange during the rest of the day. Over lunch time she hardly ate and the rest of the classes she was distracted and lost in her thoughts. She doodled in her notebook. I tried to bother her, but it seemed that nothing could disturb her. It was as if the whole day had gone gray. She no longer had that twinkle in her eyes. It was like if a dark cloud was over her head.