Chapter 14

October 10, 2009

6:49 p.m.

The policeman woke us up about ten. He asked if we wanted to make the call but we both declined. I spent several minutes walking from side to side of the cell. Alex had bitten her nails to the cuticle. She looked at me while playing with a lock of her hair.

“What are we going to do?” She asked me after some minutes.

I sighed and sat next to her.

“I don’t know,” I said resting my head against the wall and closing my eyes.

It wasn’t the first time I was there, but Dad had warned me that if I was here once more he would send me to military school. I could feel Alex's eyes even with my ​​eyes closed. She sighed and rested her head on my shoulder. I did not try to move her away.

“We are dead,” she said and I half smiled.

“You thing you are dead? If dad finds out about this he will send me to military school,” I said and she gasped.

“I don’t want you to go to military school because of my fault,” she whispered to me.

I smiled.

“Well, maybe this time was your fault but the other times were my fault.”

“Have you been here before?”

“So many times that I can’t count them,” I confessed.

“You are all a bad boy, huh?”

“You have no idea.”

“Thanks you.”

“Why?”

“For defending me.”

“You remembered me... You remembered me someone that I knew,” I told her and pursed my lips.

She had reminded me of all what my mother had taught me about how to treat women. I had been breaking all those "rules" since my father remarried. I felt as Alex stood up abruptly. I opened my eyes. She walked to the other side of the cell and put her hands around the bars.

“I would like to make my call,” she told the police officer.

“What the hell are you doing?” I asked her.

“Returning you the favor.”

She smiled at me. The policeman opened the cell and let her out. She took the phone and dialed the numbers. She looked at me once again.

“Hello, Clara...”

Three hours after the call we were both free and without our parents knew. We were forced to walk to our homes. She had her hands shoved in her pockets. I kicked a pebble. The midday sun shone over our heads. She put a lock of her hair behind her ear.

“Who’s Clara?” I asked her.

“My... My step-mother,” she answered.

“Oh. Are you sure she won’t tell your father?”

“Yeah. She... She has been with me all my life.”

“What about Arianna?” My curiosity was killing me.

“It’s a long story...” She sighed.

“Really?”

“Really. Maybe someday you will have the pleasure to hear the story,” she laughed and winked an eye.