Chapter 23

October 30, 2009

11:27 p.m.

I know I didn’t write anything yesterday, but I did not think my day deserve to be in this notebook pages. You know your day was pathetic and boring when the most interesting thing that happened was your consultation at the psychologist. But today it was all very different.

When school finished I went straight to home. Audrey tried hard to convince me to stay and go to the race tonight, but her attempts were in vain. I came home, I took off the stupid uniform, took a backpack with my stuff and I left the house without saying goodbye. I kept my bike and I got on the bike that Alex had chosen for me.

I started it feeling the motor gently vibrating under me. It took me an hour to get to West Rose Hill and fifteen minutes to find the Alex’s house.

"I told you I came to visit Alex," I said to the man for the tenth time through the doorbell Intercom.

“First they didn’t warn me that you would come and no Alex lives here,” he said and I kicked the metal railings frustrated.

“Let me in!” I yelled.

“Don’t you get violent or I’ll call the cops.”

“For God’s sake. Let me in. I came to visit Alexis Cohen.”

“What’s happening here,” I heard a woman’s voice.

The man tried to explain her that I had demanded to be let in since half an hour ago.

“Clara? It’s me, Niall.”

I heard a murmur and then the gates were opened. I sighed and got on the bike. I went in and parked next to Alex’s car. Clara opened the door with a smile on her lips. Two children were hiding behind their legs. I adjusted my backpack feeling uncomfortable.

“Hi, Niall. Please, come in.”

“Thanks,” I mumbled.

The two kids looked at me like if I was something from other world.

“Mom, why is Jason so angry? You should...”

Alex went downstairs and looked at me. She was wearing jeans, a pink shirt with long sleeves and black sneakers. A small smile escaped her lips when she saw me.

I hugged her tightly. I didn’t know if the bruises they had done her still ached, but did not care. I pressed her against my body while the smell of raspberries filled my lungs.

“I didn’t think you’ll come,” Alex whispered.

“So I understand that your parents do not know I'll stay for the weekend and I have to drive an hour back home.”

“No, they do know that you will stay... It’s just that I didn’t expect you would actually come.”

“Your brothers are stalking me,” I whispered feeling they gaze in my back.

She laughed and shook her head. I took her hand and kissed her fingers.

“Are you hungry, Niall?” Clara asked.

“Say you are,” Alex mutters while looking other way.

“Yeah.”

Alex took my hand and we climbed the stairs. I looked at every detail of the house. There were many windows and the white walls were full of pictures and paintings. We walked through the corridors until we came to a white door with a black D. She opened the door and pushed me inside the room.