Chapter 20

October 22, 2009

11:56 p.m.

Today was a really strange day, starting with Audrey’s drama this morning. Alex and I slept in her bed and I had one of my legs around her waist while she was curled against me. In the morning Audrey entered Alex’s bedroom and found us wrapped between the sheets and I was only wearing underwear, even though nothing had happened, Audrey's mind began to create a story that had never happened.

Audrey started screaming hysterically focusing all her anger at Alex. Alex covered her ears so she didn’t hear Audrey’s insults. I could not help but imagine a small Alex sitting in a corner in the darkness. The chocolate girl's eyes watered and an impulse made ​​me cover Alex with my left arm. Audrey stayed quiet at my reaction. Arianna entered the bedroom and frowned when she saw us.

"I think it should be better to go to your house, Niall. You're already late for classes," Arianna said looking towards Alex.

I put o my pants and picked up my shirt. The situation amused me so much that I just went over to kiss Alex’s cheek to annoy Arianna.

"Hurry up to put the uniform on. Today I'll take you to school," I mumbled against her cheek.

I left Alex's room and went downstairs. John looked at me for a moment but said nothing. I exit the house, closing the door behind me. I went to my house and ran up to my room. I put on my uniform as quickly as I could, brushed my teeth and went downstairs as I climbed them.

"Niall," dad called me before I could reach the front door.

"What's up?" I asked him turning on my heels.

"Where were you last night? You know that I don't like you to be out when the next day you have school."

"I was at Audrey's."

He furrowed his brows even more. He does not like Audrey and that's one of the many reasons why she is my friend and to annoy Alex.

"Don't worry- Alex and I were talking and I fell asleep."

That was not a lie, but neither was true. He calmed down a bit and I left the house before he continued the conversation. I went to the house of my dear neighbor and noticed that John still enjoyed leisurely his cup of coffee. There was no sign anywhere of Audrey and I could hear perfectly as Alex and Arianna discussed in Alex's room.

A slam made ​​the house tremble slightly and then Arianna came down stairs with fuming ears. Without saying anything I went to Alex's room. She was sitting on the edge of the bed. She was ready, but she was crying covering her face with her ​​hands. I knelt before Alex and I took her hands moving them away from her face. She looked at me with those brown eyes filled with tears.

"What's wrong?" I asked her.

“Many things, Niall. I want to go home,” more tears came out from her eyes.

“Don’t say that.”

“You do not understand anything.”

“I would understand if you explain to me.”

“I don’t want to talk about it now, Niall.”

“Wait a minute,” I reach out my arm and closed the door.

She nodded and opened the door.

“Do not let them get to you, do not listen to them,” I said.

When we arrived everyone was entering, the bell had just rung. I parked the car. I looked at Alex and she opened her eyes.

Alex had her eyes closed and I had my hand in one of her thighs.