Chapter 38

Hanna smiles nervously as she and Zach wait in line to buy tickets. The cinema is full of people and the smell of butter flooded the place. Zach has his arm casually around Hanna’s shoulders.

“Why the smile?” He asks poking her cheek.

“Nothing,” she leans a little on him.

Zach buys the tickets. While waiting for that movie to starts he tosses popcorn in the air and tries to catch them with his mouth. Hanna laughs when popcorn falls into Zach’s eye. A group of girls sitting before them complain and they try not laughing to not disturb anybody else.

June 8, 2010

5:09 pm

We took Diana to emergencies after she fainted in my arms. The doctor who is in charge of Diana didn’t let us see her but until an hour ago. The first to enter was Christian, obviously. Christian spent half an hour with Diana after she awoke.

I was there sitting in the waiting room, with eyes staring at wall while remembered things that didn't want to remember. Memories of my mother haunted me and although Clara was sitting next to me I couldn’t contain myself. I left the hospital and headed to the back of the parking lot.

I smoked half a pack of cigarettes before having enough willpower to re-enter. I walked around the parking lot trying to get rid of the smell of cigarette. I looked at the sky and sighed.

“Please, I cannot stand it again.”

I entered the hospital again and a couple of nurses glared. Christian was sitting next to Clara and the two of them spoke in a low voice while Clara rubbed Christian’s back and he ran his hands through the hair.

“Hey,” I said approaching and Christian turned to look at me.

“Niall,” he let out the air from his lungs, “Diana wants to see you.”

I looked at the closed door. I never felt so relieved and nervous upon entering a room. I couldn't help but gasp when I saw Diana.

No, she was not Diana. The woman lying in bed was a trail of Diana. The sound of the machine that tracked her heart beat was slow and leisurely. Pale skin and dull hair. Her lips were so dry and chapped that they had been bleeding. Purple circles around her eyes.

Several intravenous connected to her arms and nasal cannula helped her breathe.

“Niall,” she whispered and watching me with her chocolate eyes.

I sat down on the edge of the couch and took her hand between mine. I pressed my lips against her knuckles. I closed my eyes trying to stop the tears that were threatening to leave.

“Niall, we need to talk...”

“No. I don't want to hear you. I want you to listen to me. I know that what I did was stupid, but I wasn’t thinking when I did all that. Diana, I really love you. You're the best thing that has happened to me and these months without you have been hell. Don’t leave me Diana... I love you, doll.”

“Niall, I want you to look at me.”

Not knowing what to do, I looked up and saw Diana's eyes filled with tears.

“Niall, I missed you so much,” her voice sounds rare and she caresses my cheek. “We both were guilty in some way. I mean, I did not let you give your version of the story.”