Chapter 25

November 7, 2009

10:37 p.m.

Today I went shopping. I don’t remember the last time I went shopping. The truth is that I wasn’t the one buying. Clara was the one who made purchases and Diana and I accompanied her while we took care of her brothers.

In the morning, about nine o'clock, I went to Diana’s bedroom. I was still wearing pajamas, but I had deigned to enter Audrey's house through the front door and not through the window. When I opened the door of her room I came across a freshly bathed and getting dressed to leave Diana.

She was only in her underwear, with still somewhat damp hair, looking for something to put on in her small closet. She pulled out a pair of tight black jeans and a pretty nice blouse, not too formal as to pretend that she had spent hours getting ready her clothes.

“Where are you going?” Those were the first words out of my mouth. Now that I think about it I would have liked to tease her a little. Something like: "Beware of the guy who sees you in your underwear." Or maybe: "Aren’t those jeans too tight?"

“Good morning, Niall,” she answered while putting her shoes on.

“Good morning. Where are you going?”

“I’m going to accompany Clara.”

She brushed her hair while she looked at me in the mirror's reflection.

“You were thinking to leave me here, alone?”

“I know you'll find something to do and that does not jeopardize your personal safety.”

“I wanted to spend the day with you, Diana,” I snapped angrily.

She put on a thin layer of lip gloss on her lips.

“So if you want to go with me, go get dressed,” she rolled her eyes.

She finished dressing while I waited for her leaning on the doorframe. When she finished I took her hand and forced her to accompany me to my house. She didn’t complain and just followed me as we climbed the stairs to my room. She sat on my bed while I was looking for something to wear.

“Have you thought about cleaning your room?” She asked, looking at the mess that I had in my room and the laundry on the floor. I shook my head.

“No, but you are welcome to do it.”

“Challenge accepted, Horan. But it will not be today as we have to leave in fifteen minutes.”

I put on my shirt and shoes and taking her by her hand I made her stand up in one smooth motion. I squeezed her against my chest as she tried to wriggle out of my grip.

“This is not fair. When I arrived I was almost your height and now I barely reach your shoulder. You cannot grow up that much in two months.”

“Well, it's not my fault you've shrunk,” I teased her and she frowned and then hit in the chest. With a sudden movement she slipped from my arms and looked at me with contempt.

“Don’t get mad. Also, I like this way. You look like a doll, my little doll.”

I wiggled my eyebrows and I winked at her. I took her by the waist and was I lifted her up so she was at my height. I leaned over to kiss her, but she turned her face. My lips crashed against her cheek and I looked at her reproachfully.

“Go brush your teeth, your morning breath stinks,” she said laughing.

“So we are like this. Okay, but don’t complain later.”