Chapter 22

October 27, 2009

11:11 p.m.

As you would expect a "joke" like that Audrey had planned could not be overlooked and less if the victim, Alex, had serious physical injuries.

Last night, when I came home after job, Dad was waiting for me in the living room. He was frowning, arms crossed. I looked at him and took off my jacket.

“I want to know what happened to Alex and why her father is asking for you.”

“Dad, I swear you I did nothing. I was waiting for her outside the locker room and when I realized that everyone had gone I went in to get her. I found her on the shower floor and took her to the nurse’s office. I know nothing more.”

We both looked into each other’s eyes and he was just trying to decide if what I’d said was true or an excuse to get out of a problem. I was not telling the whole truth. Yes, I knew more about what I said and I knew what had happened, but I hadn’t done anything to Alex.

He pinched the bridge of his nose while he sighed.

“Are you telling me all the truth?” He asked me emphasizing the word all.

“Yes,” no.

“Well, I hope so. This is very serious Niall. They almost broke Alex a rib and she has very severe bruising. Don’t want to hear after all you had to do with this.”

“Okay.”

“Alex’s father will be here in a few minutes and he wants to see you.”

“He called you?” I asked in disbelief.

“Yeah.”

“How is that he has your number?”

It’s not for nothing, but that someone has your number is odd, especially if you don’t know them.

“He’s my boss, Niall.”

“I thought your boss was named Robert?”

“And Robert’s boss is Mr. Cohen.”

I smiled a little. Maybe I could use this to my advantage, to annoy dad a little. I watched out the window as a car parked in front of Audrey’s house. That was my cue. I had to go to Audrey’s home to clear everything and make clear that I hadn’t hurt Alex. I would never hurt a girl, at least not physically.

I entered to Audrey's house, without knocking at the door, followed by my father. Audrey gave me a sign telling me I should get closer to Alex, who was sitting on the couch next to, who I assumed, was Clara. I did not even greet the father of Alex. Just walked over to where the girl with brown eyes and knelt in front of her.

“How are you feeling?” I asked her while I moved away a lock of her hair.

“Better,” she answered.

She had a black eye and her lower lip was swollen and did not want to see the bruises her clothes hid. I cup her cheek and stroked her soft skin with my thumb.

“Who are you?” Mr. Cohen spoke authoritatively with firm countenance. Surely a control freak. And who would not be being ruler of half the country and scattered elsewhere in the world?

I stood up and looked into his eyes, daring him. Dad looked at me begging me not to do anything.

“Niall Horan.”

Mr. Cohen looked at me with hatred. He stepped forward and opened his mouth to say something, but Alex's voice interrupted him.

“Dad, he did nothing to me. He took me to the nurse’s office.”