Chapter 28

I am home alone. Niall is at the psychologist. Arianna and John have left to a dinner and I haven’t seen Audrey since we left school. I'm in my room doing biology homework. I have all my books and things scattered over my desk. The truth is that I am paying more attention on listening Niall’s motorbike coming that what the book says. I barley answer the questions on the worksheet. Bent over to lift my backpack and when I stand up I feel the stabbing pain in my head. I just hit with the desk.

“Shit,” I mutter when I hear that the glass falls from the desk.

Rubbing my head, I go to bathroom to bring a towel and clean up the water. Reluctantly I clean it. Pick up the pieces of glass, carefully, and put them in a plastic bag. When I finish cleaning all I go outside to throw everything in the garbage can. I lift the lid and I can throw away the bag I see something that draws my attention.

A pregnancy test is at the bottom of the nearly empty trashcan. I leave the bag with the broken glass on the floor and put my hand into the dustbin. I come across with a paper bag with seven pregnancy tests. Throw the bag with the broken glass and enter the house with the paper bag.

“Hi,” Niall stands in front of me.

“Hello.”

He gives me a soft kiss on the lips. He tastes like chewing mint gum.

“What do you have in there?” he asks taking off his jacket.

“Something that I just found.”

“Do you feel well? You're pale.”

“Yes. But... I think that you should see this,” give him the paper bag with the pregnancy tests.

He takes the bag and look at them.

“Are they Audrey’s?” He asks while looking one.

“Well, they are not mine,” I tell him sitting in one of the chairs in the kitchen island.

“Well it seems that the rumors are true... are they positive?” he ask me and I nod.

“Yes. They have the two red lines,” I point out.

“I don't think that Audrey could be a good mother,” he laughs and sits next to me.

“Me either and that's what worries me,” I confess.

“I don’t think she’ll keep the baby,” he says and rests his head on his folded arms.

“How can you say that?” I asked exalted. The mere fact of thinking in an abortion gives me goose bumps. The only thing that crosses my mind is lots of blood and the truth is that I shudder at that thought.

“Think about it a moment, Diana. Do you think that Audrey will jeopardize her life with a baby?” Niall looks me in the eyes and I shudder.

“No, but...”

“But nothing, Diana. They are not all as good as you. That’s why you're my girlfriend. Mine and only mine.”

He hugs me and I envelope his neck with my arms.

“Go to leave that where you found it. This will be our little secret until Audrey decides to say something about it. I'll be waiting for you in your room. Hurry up,” he gives me a soft slap on the butt and I go out through the back door.

After returning the pregnancy tests to where they belong and putting the towel I used in the dryer, I head to my room. When I'm inside I take my shoes off and I climb up bed, where Niall is waiting for me.