Chapter 37

Hanna is sitting in the waiting room of the hospital. This past week her grandfather has been having problems with the heart. The doctor has told them that they shouldn’t press him to live, that he already lived long enough and it is likely that’s his time.

Of course that Hanna isn’t willing to let him go, at least not now. She needed him to be strong and survive adolescence.

Zach: how are you? XX

Hanna: Bad :( He hasn’t improved a little and the truth I have no hopes.

Zach: Don’t say that :( would like me to come with you?

Hanna looks around the waiting room and although her parents and uncles are there she feels lonelier than ever. The white walls make her feel even sadder and she hates the smell of medicine and looks of pity that nurses give her.

Hanna: Please, I miss you.

Zach: My shift ends in 10 minutes. I'll be there as soon as I can... I also miss you xxxx

During the last three weeks, Hanna has been visiting the cafe three or four times a week and chatting with Zach every day, especially at night. Zach makes her feel good and doesn’t mind getting by Josh away when necessary.

“Hello,” Hanna looks up and watches Zach smiling at her.

Looking at the clock on the wall, realizes that she spend half an hour sitting there staring at the wall.

“Hello,” she responds and gets up.

“I brought you coffee,” Zach hands her disposable container.

They both walk outside and sit on a bench placed near the main entrance of the hospital.

Hanna takes her legs to her chest and curls up resting her head on Zach’s shoulder. He surrounds her with his left arm.

“Hey, don't be like that. Everything will be ok.”

Hanna takes a small sip of coffee.

“Thanks for coming. Really, I needed someone.”

She curls up more next to Zach. They stay there sitting until the afternoon starts to become night and the cold autumn wind makes them cringe.

They two go back to the waiting room, Zach arm still around the Hanna’s waist.

“Hanna,” her mother calls her, “the doctor says that you go in.”

Hanna lets a small smile slip to her mouth.

“Well, I'll go home. See you tomorrow.”

Zach leaves uncomfortable under the gaze of Hanna’s mom.

She entered the hospital room and looks at James lying on the bed.

“Hanna, sweetheart. You bring the journal? Watching TV in a hospital is a crap.” Laughing James motions her to sit next to him.

Hanna sits in the chair and opens the journal. She sighs and begins to read.

June 6, 2010

11:08 pm

We already have everything planned.

Tomorrow Diana will return.

Police officers already have everything ready.

After realizing that the kidnapper of Diana worked by himself and didn’t have anyone to support him everything became easier. They began to negotiate with him and although he didn’t let the money amount decrease, he gave us a longer period of time.

Then we discovered that he was a newbie looking for easy money, with a poorly prepared plan and hadn’t taken sufficient measures to not be found. They were able to track him to the third call that he made. He was in an apartment an hour from West Rose Hill.

Police officers had already assembled for the rescue plan. It seemed that Christian and Clara lives had returned to them. They were quieter and Christian eyes were no longer sad when we were talking about Diana.

It seems that we are all better. We are all well.

She is going to return.

She's gonna be ok.

Tomorrow all this nightmare will end and we will return to our lives.

Tomorrow she will be in my arms.

June 7, 2010

8:07 pm

This is a nightmare.

No, this is worse than a nightmare.

It is hell.

I stood there, in front of the apartment building. It seemed that no one lived there, but one of the upstairs bedrooms had on the television.

There, standing with a suitcase full of everything but money, I waited ten minutes that guy to come out with Diana.

Ten long and agonizing minutes.

The main entrance of the building was opened and a man in his 30s, with greasy hair and dirty clothes came out.

His eyes were bloodshot and had chapped lips. In the right hand had a gun pointing to Diana's head and left arm around her delicate neck.

“Do you have the money?” His raspy voice broke the silence.

“Yes.” I said pointing to the backpack.

I looked at Diana. She wasn’t the same girl I had met. She was much more slender, dark bags under her eyes, chapped lips and unkempt hair. It seemed that she was going to die at any second.

“Hands up, we've got you surrounded,” an officer shouted while others went out of their positions.Bloodshot eyes looked panicked around. He tightened the grip around the throat of Diana and it seemed that her legs couldn’t hold her.

“Don’t approach or I’ll kill her!” Listening to his voice full of panic I gave two steps forward.

“All finished. Let her go,” I said as relaxed as I could.

The man looked at the officers pointing at him. He looked at me in the eyes and pushed Diana forward. The man tried to escape but one of the officers shot him in the leg, causing him to fall. I grabbed Diana before she fell to the ground. She didn't even have the strength to breathe normally.

The commanding police officer arrested the man. Christian ran to us. Everything happened so fast that it seemed more a dream. I couldn’t distinguish reality from the thoughts that my mind was playing. The voices of everyone mixing and Diana erratic breath felt heavy in my neck. I looked down, the girl in my arms. She wasn't the same girl than before. She wasn’t Diana.

Diana looked at me with her chocolate eyes and I watched as the color left her skin. She opened her mouth, but nothing came out of it.

Two seconds later, Diana fainted in my arms.