Chapter 16: The Triangle

DEVEN'S POV

(and in case you don't remember he's a Lost Boy)

Pan had us running all over the island searching for Kat.

Up trees, in caves, through bushes, in the ocean.

We looked everywhere.

At one point I ran back to the camp to grab another knife when I saw Pan flying back with a girl in his arms.

It had to be Kat.

Relief washed over me as they got closer.

I gave a loud shout into the forest, signaling to the other Boys that she was found.

Since the incident with Jack... some of the Boys have been kind of iffy of Kat. But others, like me, understand that Kat acted out of rage. And the real Kat would never hurt someone like that.

Either way, we all listened to what Pan tells us to do see we searched for her all afternoon.

Pan landed in the center of camp with Kat in his arms, her head buried in his chest and her arms tangled around his neck.

I felt a twinge of jealousy.

Though I shouldn't, because I knew that Pan was all about Kat.

And she was probably all about him.

Why would she even consider me?

She's got the most beautiful physique I've ever seen!

I only wish I could hold her like that...

I ran over to Pan as he pushed past me and took Kat into his tent.

Felix and I followed him inside, simultaneously.

I watched in horror as Pan lied Kat down in his bed and I saw blood up and down her entire body.

Vertical claw marks tore up her arms and legs. Some very deep cuts that were bleeding badly.

Her hair was wet and matted, and she had a big black bruise above her eye with a cut in the middle.

"What happened?" I asked, rushing over and pressing a cloth to the cuts on her arms.

"Mermaids." Pan spat.

He was dashing all around the tent picking up creams and herbs and all sorts of other stuff that he had hidden, and was putting on Kat's wounds.

She squealed in pain and her hand flew onto my arm.

She squeezed it tight and I put my other hand on top of it, trying to comfort her.

"Stop! You're hurting her!" I said to Pan, " Can't you just use magic?"

Pan didn't look up from cleaning Kat's cuts but said to me in a serious tone,

"If I could use magic, don't you think I would have by now? The mermaids claws and teeth have a venom in them that magic cannot heal. And neither can Neverland's waters. It must be done with medicine."

Pan slathered a thick yellow cream on her legs, and they kicked with agony.

"Hold her down" Pan yelled to Felix.

Felix had no problem forcefully pushing Kat's legs down on the table as Pan put more cream on.

"Deven, get her arms."

I leaned over Kat and pushed her arms down, and Pan put the stuff on her arms too.

I could see her face twisting and her jaw clenching as she did her best not to scream.