Chapter 50: Think Happy Thoughts

KAT'S POV:

"A what?" Peter asked.

"A game. Are you deaf or something?" I snickered.

"No."

"Then how come you didn't hear me the first time?"

He shifted on the log and slapped a hand on his knee, "Fine. What did you have in mind?"

"Hide and seek."

The Boys around us all giggled and Peter grinned, "Quite boring, don't you think, boys?"

There were a few 'yeah's and a couple head nods but most stayed silent, just watching.

Peter's had his fun with games on this bloody island. Now it's my turn.

"Oh, no. Not just your ordinary hide and seek. This version's different." I stated.

"How so?" Max questioned.

I sat down next to Peter, "Well, the concept is the same. There are two teams. One hides, one seeks."

"Then how's it any different?" Max interrupts.

I shoot him a glare so ferocious I feel the heat behind my eyes. He quickly casts his glance to the ground and shuts his mouth.

I continue, "The difference of this game are two things. The rules, and the prize."

I see a devious smile dance on Peter's lips, "Go on."

"The rules are as follows: the opposing team can only win when each hider is found and... the hiders must surrender with blood or be punished by death."

The crowd is silent.

"The prize," I smile, "Is information. Anything juicy the losing team can think to compile. And if there is nothing to tell, then banishment is the punishment."

Beside me, even Peter has gone still. Obviously contemplating his odds.

"Everyone has to play," I add, "Even you, Peter. It's all or none. Those are the rules."

Peter clasps his hands together and leans forward. He puts a finger to his lips, "And what makes you think I even want to play?"

I laugh, "Peter Pan not wanting to play a game? Now, that's bad form. I thought Peter Pan never fails?"

I see an uncomfortable chuckle in his shoulders as he sits up,

"Well, boys, you heard the rules. If you are found, cut your hand and pay with blood. And if your team loses, be prepared with a good piece of information. I have no doubt Kat will enforce these rules."

I stand up and brush my dress off, "I most certainly will. Just because I have no magic doesn't mean I'm not deadly in other ways."

All the Boys stand up and form a circle around us. Peter counts them off onto two teams, with us both as team leaders. Exactly as I wanted...

"Boundaries?" He asks, his team standing behind him.

"None." I reply, "Your team counts first. We'll hide. Go count in your tents so you don't cheat. Give us two minutes."

"Two minutes?" Liam complains.

"Stop complaining." I yell at him.

He sighs and continues fiddling with his club.

"Done." Peter grins.

His team starts piling into their tents. He stands in front of me, arms crossed, and steps closer to me,