Chapter 39: Fly High

KAT'S POV:

The high pitched chirping of birds nearby and rays of sunlight on my face pulled me out of sleep. Well, if you can call it sleep. Deven left a meer hour ago and I did my best to get some shut eye. Over the last week, I've had a grand total of twenty hours of sleep. Each day up until now was spent with Tink, trying to find the meadow. Each night since the second has been with Deven, talking about Neverland.

No dreams of the Shadow, though. Probably due to my hour of sleep a night...

"You awake?" Tinkerbell whispered. I chuckled and rolled over, "Yes."
"Good," she stood up and brushed off her clothing, "We have matters to discuss."
I slowly sat up into a cross legged position.
"What matters?"
"About today. About the palace."
"Alright, say them."

Tinkerbell paced back and forth, "Number one: the moment we step into the meadow we are under watch. Everything we do, everything we say, even the places we walk, are being monitored. We shouldn't be hauled off right away so that gives us time to make it to the palace. Oh, and that's another thing! You're not aloud to use any magic."
"What?" I shot up, "What if I need it? What if something happens?"
"Nothing will happen. We'll be safe in there. We can't have the other fairies knowing you're a threat. The minute they think you can do harm, you'll be thrown in the dungeons."
I sighed and folded my arms, "Fine. What else?"
"Absolutely no mentioning of Pan. The King and Queen can't stand him, so if we bring him up, we might as well have not come at all."
"No argument there." I scoffed.

"Once we get our time in front of the King and Queen, I'll do the introductions. They'll ask our purpose, I'll explain the situation, and that's when you come in as my witness and plead for my wings. Got it?"
"I beileve so."
"Oh! And above all else, be polite. These are royalty after all."
I put on my best innocent face and said, "Aren't I always?"
A smile brushed Tink's lips as she bent down to pick up her bag. I did the same.

"Last thing..." She spoke up.
"Yes?"
"That little Lost Boy of yours can't follow us tonight. They'll catch him right away and toss us-"
"Toss us in the dungeon. I got it. He knows not to follow once we're inside. I told him to meet us back here in two nights."
Tink nodded in approval, "Okay, good. You ready?"
"Let's go get your wings back."
We began our walk through the meadow.

A SHORT WHILE LATER

Two fairy guards stood outside the palace gates with spears in their hands. The second we stepped on the pavement they created an 'X' to block the gate.
"State your business." One of them said. Though it was hard to tell because neither of them moved.
Tinkerbell looked at me and then spoke, "We would like a presence with the King and Queen."
"Names?"
"I'm Tinkerbell and this is my friend... Miranda."
I shot her a sideways glance but she only looked up at the guards.
They both opened their spears and let us enter the gate.
Once we were out of earshot I whispered to Tink, "Miranda? Why did you lie?"
"News spreads fast in Neverland. The last thing we need is Pan finding out you're here."

We walked up the palace stairs and into the grand hall. There, on two grandiose chairs in the back of the room, sat whom I guessed to be the King and Queen Fairy. As we approached them I could begin to see Tinkerbell shake. Possibly out of fright at the sight of them, possibly out of nerves. Either way, I felt bad, so I put a reassuring hand on her arm. Once we reached the foot of their chairs, Tink got down on one knee and bowed. I did the same.