Chapter 49: Never Smile at a Crocodile

JAMES'S POV:

"Are you sure you're ready for this?", I asked Kat as she feverishly put herself together.

"As sure as I'll ever be." She replied firmly.

I couldn't help but smile at the sight of her. She had an untameable fire in her heart and I admired her dearly for it.

She finished brushing out her clothes and hooked a knife through her belt. As she did she grabbed her side and doubled over, taking in a sharp breath as she did.

I quickly put my hands on her back,  "You are definitely not ready to make this journey. Let alone face Pan. The boy bloody stabbed you and left you for dead!"

Kat shrugged away my hands and stood up right, "I agree it was absolutely horrid, and believe me I can't wait to get this over with, but the wound is healing."

"Thanks to me!" I pointed out.

"Yes," She agreed, "Thanks to you. But, even if, physically, I'm not prepared to make this trip... I have to. Peter didn't exactly give me a wide window of healing time."

"He never actually told you to be back at a specific time."

"No, but kidnapping Tinkerbell and leaving me this," She motioned to her side, "Was his way of telling me to hurry up."

"Who cares what he wants!" I exclaimed, "That boy deserves to wait. He deserves to sit, twiddling his thumbs, until you feel well enough to return. If you should return at all!"

Kat walked closer to me and put a hand on my shoulder, "James. I can do this. I can beat him."

I looked down at her, "I have no doubt of that, big sister, but that doesn't make me any less worried."

She playfully hit my arm hard, "It's me that should be worried about you!"

"Me?" I questioned.

"Leaving you alone. In the wild! Should I be afraid to return and find you running around like a savage beast? Or worse. Caught up by some mermaid trap or a fairy spell?"

I laughed, "Hey, that happened once! Doesn't mean I'm going to fall for it again."

She raised an eyebrow at me, "You sure about that?"

I pushed her with my shoulder, "Positive. I can take care of myself."

"I know you can." She giggled.

We both stopped laughing and looked at each other.

"Well, I better get going." Kat sighed, looking at the sun.

"It's only first light. Are you sure you have to go so soon?"

She nodded, "I'm hoping this wound won't prevent my powers from functioning properly. Then I can Flash there by at least mid-morning."

"You remember the plan?" I asked.

"The only plan I need to remember is that Peter is the target."

"Exactly. And you'll send word once you get Tink out?"

"Better yet, I'll send her back."

I nodded, "Alright then."

We stood still for a moment, and then Kat pulled me into a tight hug.

I wrapped my arms around her and burried my face in her hair. She squeezed me hard before pulling away and placing a hand on my cheek, "Don't do anything stupid." She softly chuckled.