Chapter 38: Last Attempt

PETER'S POV:

Another day by and still no sign of Kat. This expected two day venture had turned into a five day goose chase.

We'd find her prints by the river, then they'd wash away. Or we'd find them on a trail and they'd disappear. That's impossible. She couldn't be flashing places, could she? She's not THAT good at her powers yet. She only knows what I've taught her.

By the seventh morning without a sign of her, I was at a loss for patience.

"I don't care if you lost her trail!" I shouted at Max, "Keep looking!"
He hurriedly ran into the forest again.
I knew it was pointless. They'd searched every known part of this island multiple times and the only thing they've seen are footprints; but we can't tell WHICH direction they're going in.

"Pan," Felix called as he walked into camp, "We followed some tracks down by the stream across from fairy meadow but they weren't hers."
I angrily placed my hands on my hips and bounced on my toes.
"This is so bloody frustrating , Felix! She's here. I know she is. But I can't find her! Peter Pan never fails!" I nearly shouted in his face.
I realized what a fool I was being and sat down with my hands clasped firmly in front of me, "So why am I failing?"
Felix sat down next to me.
"You're not failing. You're just... falling behind. At the moment, the girl is one step ahead of you. One. Not five. One. You just need to find that advantage again and you'll be able to find her."
"Yes but how do I get that edge back? Every lead we've found is a dead end. And I can't keep pushing the Boys like this. It's not fair to them."
Felix sighed, "I'd say give the Boys a rest. You're the best when it comes to tracking, and especially since it's your girl."
"What do you mean 'my girl'?" I asked, "She's not my true love or anything! Peter Pan has no time for love!" I stood up.
"Deny it all you want. I know you have feelings for her. Just look how hard you're searching for her."
"Felix you know why I need her. She's the only way to do what I need to."

"It's more than that. Whatever, it's not my place to speak."
"No," I argued as my eyebrow went up, "It's not."
I started to walk away to my tent and he followed me inside.
"Where haven't you checked yet?" He asked.
I leaned over a map on my table and pointed to the places as I spoke. "The only places I haven't checked are the Echo caves, Fairy Meadow, and the bottom of Mermaid Lagoon." I said the last part sarcastically.
Felix looked over the map and deliberated.
"Why haven't you searched the meadow yet? Isn't that where the Mermaid told you the girl would be?"
"That girl has a name, Felix. Her name is Kat, and I'd appreciate if you used it."
He rolled his shoulders and shifted his feet, "Fine. Kat. But my question remains the same. Why haven't you searched there?"
"First off, the information came from a bloody Mermaid! Don't you know never to trust one of those sea devils? Second, the fairies aren't exactly... accepting... of my presence. And I doubt they'd help if I asked, we tried that already."

"I say you try it anyway. There's no harm in at least looking, Pan."
I sighed and gave in.
"If she's not there and I'm just waisting my bloomin time, you're to blame, Felix!"
He put his hands up defensively and grinned. I chuckled back. Felix always did know how to make me laugh. We both walked out of the tent, my arm playfully around his neck in a choke hold. Then I see Deven yawning loudly, snoozing against a tree.
I pushed Felix off of me and flashed in front of the sleeping Deven.
"Up late again?" I asked.
He jumped at my voice and looked around.
"Couldn't sleep ?" I inquired.
"Yeah."
"Bad dreams?" I mocked.
"Uh huh." He groaned.
"They better have been about me!" I grinned sarcastically.
He patted down his messy hair and straightened his coat, "Don't worry, they were."

He began strolling away but I flashed closer and grabbed his arm.
"All the other Boys have been out searching all day and you've been lounging on that tree? Now now, we know this calls for a punishment, don't we?"
All motion in camp stopped and eyes were turned towards us. A smile spread across my face and Deven stood frozen.
"Hm, let's say.... a day in the box?"
There were a few whispers from the others but Deven kept his eyes locked on mine.
"That sounds good to me," I said, not breaking the eye contact.
"What about you, Felix?" I called, "Does this devious chap deserve a day in the box?"
My eyes still on Deven's and his arm still in my hand, I heard Felix yell, "Seems fair to me."

I grinned again, "It's settled then. A day in the box to think about your actions."
Without another word I poofed him there with a wave of my hand and a cloud of green smoke. When the smoke cleared, all the boys were still staring.
"Continue your work around camp but no more searching for Kat. That job is now mine and mine alone." they all scurried away.

The box is made of wood that is dangling over a rope bridge off the side of two mountain peaks. The drop from the box is at least two hundred feet and one sudden movement could snap the rope, and the box would plummet to the earth.
What the Boys don't know is that the height is merely an enchantment spell. The drop itself is no more than two feet but, the illusion is what creates the fear and that is punishment enough.
Deven is lucky it's only a day. A Boy once got a week for disobeying my orders before. Let's just say he's no longer here....

Now that Deven was taken care of I could freely travel to Fairy Meadow and begin my search for Kat.

With a subtle nod to Felix, I set off.

A/N: so watcha guys think?
Little bit of felix-peter bromance?
Deven-peter conflict?
You liking it?

Let me know ;)

5 comments for next Chapter ♡

Please don't forget to hit vote ☆