Chapter 30: Touched by a Light

JAMES'S POV:

After finally reaching the shelter of the big tree, I collapsed on the trunk, panting heavily.

Korri also had her hands pressed into her sides, trying to slow her heart rate.

Slowly, I stood upright and looked around.

It was just a tree. A really big tree. Thick enough to hide us both from behind. Beside the tree was a stream that seemed to sparkle in the warm afternoon sun.

"So," I sighed, breaking the ice, "You gonna tell me why you helped me out?"

"I already told ya."

"No. The real reason, Korri."

She straightened out her shoulders and walked over to me.

"I heard you talking to the King. Not specifically what you said, but I knew someone was in there. The King and Queen aren't the most merciful to outsiders. They're very protective over their realm. I saw them dragging you into the dungeons and that's when I realized you were a mortal." She shifted her focus from one of my eyes to the other, "I've never seen a mortal up close."

"So you just decided today was the day you were going to spring one from prison?!" I inquired.

"Tell me honestly, did you do anything wrong?"

"Well, no. Not exactly. I didn't even make it past the meadow."

"See what I mean? I knew you weren't dangerous."

"How'd you know that? I could be dangerous! " I said, raising an eyebrow.

She grinned and walked over to the tree.

"You're not a dangerous one, James. The only way I've survived this place is by trusting my gut. And my gut tells me that you won't hurt me."

"Did your gut tell you to bring us to the middle of nowhere?" I gestured to the empty field.

Korri placed one hand on the tree and pulled out a wand with the other. She waved the wand over her hand and it lit up red. Then she put her wand in her pocket and pushed on the tree.

A door opened up from underneath her hand and she smiled again.

"This isn't nowhere."

She stepped inside and I followed close behind. The door magically sealing behind us.

The moment I was inside, the first thing I noticed was how big it was.

It looked like a full on house.

Complete with a small kitchen and living room.

She walked into the kitchen and pulled a pot out of a cabinet.

"Tea?" She asked.

"Actually I'd love some. Haven't had any since I left London."

I sat down on the couch that faced a brightly burning fire. I couldn't help but notice that the stream I saw outside ran through the center of her home. Almost like it was supporting the tree's life.

"Ah yes. I think I've heard of London. It's a place on Earth, no?"

I stifled a laugh, "Yeah, it's on Earth. But compared to the rest of the world, it's nothing."

Korri finished brewing the tea and brought over two mugs. One she placed in front of me, the other she kept in her hands as she sat across from me.

"What's Earth like?" She asked, "I've heard that the sea takes up nearly all of it. And the parts that have land are full of more mortals, like you! I've heard its a place with no magic."