Chapter 42: Skylights

KAT'S POV:

"He really is a demon."

James and Tink thought I've been asleep but I've been awake. Listening to the whole conversation. I did my best not to show my shock as I silently inhaled a sharp breath at James's words.

"He already told me this, didn't he?", I thought, "That he was the one who planned for my birth." But I hadn't truly believed it, until now. He has manipulated my entire life yet he pretends that we only just met last year.

Tears fell down my cheeks and I tasted the saltiness on my lips. I bit my tongue to keep from bursting out.

My heart raced and I itched to flip over and ask James more questions but I felt too weak. The day's events had taken their toll on me. My arm was healed but that medicine really knocked me out. But I knew I had to stay awake. Deven would be here soon and I had to talk to him. Keeping my emotions bottled inside me surly wasn't good. Deven was the best listener I know.

Some time later, Tink and James had fallen asleep. The only indication was Tinkerbell's soft snore. It was then I mustered the courage to turn over and check. There they were. Tink curled into James's arms and his around her back. The fire behind them was dwindled down to just a small glow. The embers crackling softly and the flames flickering.

I giggled. They met hours ago and already they had some sort of relationship?

"Nice, James. Real nice." I whispered.

Yawning, I rolled onto my back. The tree I was perched against was not the most uncomfortable place I had slept, but I'd definitely trade it for that bed in Peter's tent any day.

Peter.

I hadn't thought about him in days. But now that I remembered, I couldn't get him out of my mind. In honesty, I missed him. Not his unkind demeanour or abusive vocabulary, but the way his eyes looked on a sunny morning. Or the way his boyish laugh could be heard from the beach. Or even the way his sandy brown hair framed his face.

Those were the parts of him I missed.

I lifted my boot up and stuck a hand inside. Underneath my heel was the pearl necklace Peter had given me.

I rolled it in my fingers before tying it around my neck. It felt good to have it back there. It felt.... complete.

I rubbed my eyes and placed my arms above my head. Looking up, my view of the sky was blocked by a rather large branch emanating from the tree. I studied the branch.

"I wonder.." I whispered.

A raised my hand over my face and gently flicked it backwards. Immediately following my hand, the branch moved back. The leaves rattled and the bark moaned as it cleared the way. Revealing a dazzling night sky.

I gasped.

I often forgot the extent of my powers and it surprised me what they could do.

My view was no longer obscured and the sky left me breathless. Never had it looked this way from anywhere else on the island.

The dark blue sky was painted like a work of art. The stars seemed as if they were carefully placed in specific locations in order to further their beauty. Each of them twinkled in the distance with grace. Some were a light blue but most were bright white. Their light was pulsating and my powers made it easier for me to see their detail.

I sat up and turned my head, taking in all my surroundings.

Out of the corner of my eye, a shimmer of pink sprawled across the sky.