Chapter 18: Wisp of a Boy

KAT'S POV:

(dreaming)

I'm in a field.

No it's more of a meadow.

There are brilliantly vivid flowers up and down the hills and they're swaying in the gentle breeze.

"Wow" I murmur as my feet carry me forward.

The tall grass is up to my waist but I don't mind.

The warm sun is shining down on my face and I take a moment to bask in it's glory.

I smile and bend down to pick up a purple flower and smell it.

"Mmmm" I hum.

Looking up, I see a white deer with very large antlers and two blue eyes.

Entranced by its presence, I followed it through the meadow and into the beginnings of the forest, but I stopped before I went inside because I didn't want to leave this perfect little meadow.

It was so.... relaxing.

The deer turned around, as if noticing I stopped following.

Suddenly, he morphed into a bizarre creature.

No, it wasn't a creature.

It was that black smoke again!

Like from that other dream!

"Oh no!" I shrieked as I ran back into the meadow.

The sun had gone away and the flowers withered, leaving only stems to run on.

Eventually the black smoke had surrounded me and I fell to the floor, covering my face.

"Kat," it said in a deep and eerie voice.

I looked up and saw that the smoke had turned into a black shadow.

It wasn't very big but it two yellow eyes that seemed to never leave mine.

Frightened, I asked,

"What do you want? Why do you keep showing up in my dreams?"

It made a weird animal growl and responded,

"I want to help you. Peter Pan has been on this island for far too long. It is time for him to leave. The group of children he keeps here cannot help me... but you can. You are different " holding out the last syllable.

"Different? Just because I have magic? You could get anyone with magic to do this." I defended myself.

"No" it said, once again extending the last sound, "It must be you. Your magic is pure. It is much more powerful than anyone's, even Pan's."

I remember what James said to me on the rocks. That I'm more powerful than any creature in other realms.

Impossible.

"I-I can't help you because this isn't real! You're just in my dream!" I shout.

"Does this feel like a dream to you?"

The shadow floats down to me and puts a strong hand on my wrist.

The sensation was so strong, I knew that he was real. I might be dreaming, but this Shadow was not part of the Dream.