Chapter 44: Love?

KAT'S POV:

I opened my eyes to a darkness I was surprised by. I blinked a few times before realizing it was night time, and not some freak accident or something. I turned to my left and saw James, fast asleep, still with his arm drapped around my back. It was comforting to have him next to me.

Through everything, he's been next to me. And I know he will continue to be.

I sat up and brushed the hair out of my face. I planted a gentle kiss on James's forehead and wandered closer to the fire. It was still burning strong, so that meant it couldn't have been dark out for too long. I bent down to Tink's satchel, which was near the fire, and stuck my hand inside.

My stomach growled loudly as I dug around for something to eat. Eventually I found a half eaten pear and I reluctantly ate the rest of it. But I was still hungry.

Nothing was left in the bag, so I sat down, defeated.

And then I remembered.

I sat on my knees in front of the fire and closed my eyes. I took a deep breath and flicked my hand towards it. Soon after I heard a misplaced crackle and my eyes shot open. There on the fire sat a plate of scrambled eggs.

A jubilant grin spread across my face as I eagerly reached forward and grabbed the food. I quickly shoved them in my mouth and savored every bite.

I was enjoying my last bit when I heard,

"Well someone's hungry."

I spun around, expecting James or Tink to be awake, but they were both asleep. Then, faintly, near the trees, a saw a pulsating, topaz glow.

"Deven?" I looked through the darkness with my Vision and saw him with arms crossed.

"Deven!" I whispered as I ran over to him.

I threw my arms around his neck and crushed my lips onto his.

He was surprised at first, but laughed into the kiss and deepend it. I felt him playfully nip my bottom lip and I giggled.

"Shhhhh." He whispered and pulled us back into the forest.

I put my face into his neck and kissed it gently.

"Where were you?" I asked, "I was worried about you."

"Ah, don't worry about me. I'm fine."

I looked him up and down and it was then I noticed the shadows under his eyes and the paleness of his normally tan face. Worried, I reached for his hands to pull him closer, but when I did, they felt ruff. I looked down at them to see that they were cut and bruised all over.

"What on earth happened?" I demanded.

He sheepishly looked at my hands in his, "Pan. He caught me sneaking away and put me in the Box for a whole day. As you can see, it wasn't very fun."

I felt my anger rise slightly again, "That lowlife! How dare he! He didn't hurt you, did he?"

Deven brushed his thumb down my cheek bone, "No, not this time."

My anger bubbled more, "I'm so sorry this happened to you, Deven. Next time I see him, I promise you he's going to pay. He's going to regret everything he's done to us all."

Deven placed both of his hands o n either side of my face, "Hey. Are you alright?"

"Yes. Why?" I asked, confused.

"Because. Your eyes are turning red and your hair. It's-- it's-"

"It's glowing, isn't it?"