Chapter 21: In The Trees

Chapter 21: In the Trees

JAMES'S POV:

I tuck my arms to my side as I jumped off the small cliff and onto the floor again.

My feet touched the soft earth and I rolled gently to a stop.

I stood up and brushed off the dirt, and began running.

The map on my chest said to follow the riverbend until I found a cave that echoes.

I'm assuming that's what it meant.

The little dot said "Echo Cave" so, at least I hope that's what it means.

From there it says I will find a new map, that the key on my stomach will help decode.

Tree branches snagging on my shirt every now and then, and leaves getting caught in my hair.

I wasn't even half way there when I got extremely out of breath.

I stopped my running and bent over to slow my breathing, and that's when I heard the noises.

I heard shouts and yells like,

"Find some wood!"

"Is that piece dry?"

"Where's a good log?"

Alarmed by their sudden closeness, I dropped to the floor and silently crawled under a thick bush.

I peeked out from the bottom and saw 3 pairs of feet walk by.

Two were Boys, I could tell that much. But one looked more feminine than the others.

My eyes traveled upward and I was surprised to see Kat standing there with her hands on her hips.

"It hasn't rained in days!" She laughed, "Why wouldn't the wood be dry?"

Then Kat got a lengthy lecture on wood from a boy about her age who would not take his eyes off her.

"Fine, I get it." Then she bent down and picked up a stick, "Here's some wood so you can say I helped."

As she leaned over, I could have sworn she noticed me, but nothing except for her slight eye movement gave it away.

The other boys laughed and they walked back to wherever they came from.

Why are they so far from camp?

Or wait... am I that close to camp?

Oh no. I must be going the wrong way.

According to the map, the cave was directly opposite of the camp.

As I silently cursed myself, Kat walked back through the bushes and over to a tree near me.

She started picking bark off it, making it look like she was busy.

"I know you're there," she whispered, "You need to find a better hidding place. "

I didn't respond because I feared that Pan was listening.

"I understand you're not ready to talk, otherwise you wouldn't be in the bushes," her voice fell into a sad rhythm.

"It's fine James, but don't wait too long. I need to start making decisions and if you're not going to help me then we'll be trapped here forever."

Oh Kat. She really was a hopeful person. I wished so much that I could come out and talk to her but, it was too dangerous now.

Kat was still picking bark from the tree when Pan emerged behind her.