chapter 1

"Hazza, let's go out tonight, mate."

"I don't feel like it, Louis. You go." Harry frowns as his eyes scan over the book in his lap. Honestly he doesn't know what he's reading anymore and knows that he'll just have to revise this chapter again tomorrow when his brain is actually awake.

Louis could be heard talking to him, but all it was was a background sound to Harry whose mind was slowly going into overdrive.

"You're going to end up burning yourself out and fucking yourself over in your final exam." Louis said leaning on the marble kitchen counter.

Harry finally gazed up at his roommate and stretched his neck before rubbing it, trying to rid himself of the tension building. He had been curled up on the black single seater sofa for a couple of hours now. Pens, papers and, highlighters scattered on the worn out wooden coffee table that he had pulled closer to him to keep all of his books around himself.

"One drink." Louis pushes and walks to his room to pull on a grey hoodie.

"It's never just 'one' drink with you, Louis." Harry shouts so that his voice travels to him. "More like one bottle." He mumbles that part to himself. Sometimes he felt more like Louis' mother than his friend. Always checking up on him and making sure he's okay - but that's just how Harry always was, he was really caring.

"Exactly! Which is why you should come with me to make sure that I don't mess up and, stick to a single pint. Hmm?" He says as he comes back out of his room and fixes his hoodie. He smiles and raises his eyebrows and Harry just can't fight the smirk off if his face.

Louis and Harry had been roommates now for four years. Louis had found this really nice apartment but couldn't find anyone to room with who could afford the rent and not get on his nerves.

He was a law student and Harry was a psychology student.

***

"You can live in the dorms if you don't find someone to help out with rent, Louis." His father told him and gave him a deadline of one week to find someone.

Monday came and went and now it was a cold and gloomy Saturday.

So after trying everything he went downstairs and stood in front of the building and watched person after person walk by him. He adjusted his blue beanie and pulled out his pack of cigarettes, pulling out a stick with his lips.

"Oi!" Louis roughly grabbed a boy with fluffy chocolate coloured hair that walked past him.

"Wh- what? Let go!" He quickly snatched his arm out out Louis' grasp.

"Relax," Louis took in a drag and blew out the smoke all the whilst taking in the boys' image. "I'm not gonna hurt ya."

"Well then what do you want?" He asked and deepened his frown. The midday traffic making the boy feel a smudge at ease if Louis decided to do anything stupid.

"I'm Louis." He smiled and stuck out his hand.

The other boy stuck out his hand tentatively and took Louis' in his own and sighed. "What do you want?" He asked again.

"Straight to business, I like you already! Okay, well, I just bought this apartment and I need a roommate. I'm studying at the University of London and you look like you go to uni too, soooo, what do you say?"

"...you don't even know me, mate."

"Well I already introduced myself so you are being a hit rude here - besides I'm an excellent judge of character and you just look -"

Boring
Plain
Quiet
Dorky
Innocent
Someone who won't get in my way

"- like a real cool guy so?"

"...I'm Harry." The brown haired boy said, finally introducing himself and letting his frown soften. "...I, uh, also go to the University of London. It's my first year -"

"Mine too! That's fuckin' great, mate! So you need a place to stay? Wanna look at the place?"

"... I donno..."

"Look, I know this is really fucking weird and you probably think I'm dodgy but I'm dead serious. I just need someone to help me out with rent or I lose this place."

Harry exhaled a breath and looked up at the building. It was in a really nice area, and it already looked really good outside.

I guess it would save me money on petrol so,

"Yeah, okay. Why not?"

Initially when Harry moved in with Louis, they both sort of avoided each other and did their own things. Louis would go out and Harry would stay in.

That was until one Sunday, during their first year, when Louis had had a particularly rough Saturday night had stumbled into the living room area to see Harry watching reruns of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.

"Morning." Harry greeted him quietly. He was nervous around Louis. Not just because they didn't know each other, but because Louis was confident, outgoing, everything Harry felt that he wasn't.

Louis grumbled a 'morning' back in response and flopped onto the double seater, bringing his knees up to his chest.

Only seconds later was he tumbling off the couch, forcing his tired muscles to work so that he made it to the bathroom on time as to not vomit on the slick hardwood floor.

Harry leaned forward and wondered if he should knock on the door.

They had been roommates for a good couple of weeks now, but still Harry wasn't sure if someone like Louis considered someone like himself a friend.

Louis kicked himself for drinking those extra tequila shots when he was already drunk out of his mind for now he was paying the price and just felt like curling up into a little ball and perishing.

After cleaning himself up he had walked to where Harry was by the kitchen sink, but before he could grab a glass from the cabinet, Harry turned off the tap and handed Louis the glass he had just filled and dropped two capsules in the palm of his hand.

"...thanks." Louis said with a slightly hoarse voice.

Harry offered him an easy smile and not wanting an awkward moment to arise, went to grab the kettle and fill it up.

"Do you want some tea?" He asked, feeling for a cup himself.

"Uhm, yea..if you're making." Louis replied, looking at the green and white tablets in his hand and gently sipping on some water.

"It's Ibuprofen. Should help with your headache." Harry answered his silent question while reaching for a couple of mugs.

Louis nodded to himself and let the pills pass his dry lips. "Thank you." Louis suddenly felt guilty of not making more of an effort to get to know Harry. He seemed like a nice kid. Watching Harry make their tea he decided that the next time he went out, he would invite Harry along and get to know him more, and that he did and since then they fast became best friends.

***

"Okay," Harry said closing the book on his lap and placing it on the coffee table before straightening out his long legs. "Let's go."

A/N: I swear I was high as a damn kite when I wrote this lmao it's trash go read something else by great zarry authors 🏃🏃🏃