chapter 52

Talking to his parents made Zayn feel like a weight was lifted off of his chest and he could finally breathe. Yes, it was hard for Zayn to finally open up and yes, his parents were shocked but true to Waliyha's word, they said that they would still support him one-hundred percent. His dad was a bit tougher to come around to accept that this is who Zayn really was than his mother was, but with time and speaking to his son more and more about it, he understood that it changed nothing about Zayn and nothing about their relationship.

"What does this mean for you and Harry?" Liam asked.

"What about, GiGi?" Doniya asked in a small voice.

"... I can't just go back to Harry and expect him to just push things aside and pick up where we left off. For all I know, he could have moved on ages ago." And the fact that Harry's visits weren't as frequent as Zayn would have liked, didn't seem to help his thoughts. As for GiGi. He knew that that would be a harder talk to have than the one he had jusy with his parents.

"Let me stay when you speak to her, Zayn. It's not going to be easy." Doniya pleaded.

"I just really don't think you should. She's going to - I don't know. I don't know how she's going to handle things."

***

How do I handle this?
How do I start, what do I say -

"Hey,"

"Pippa. Hi." Zayn swore that he must have looked like he had just run a marathon because of the beads of sweat that had collected on his forehead.

"Are you alright?" She pressed the back of her palm to his clamy forehead and grew worried.

"I'm fine, I'm fine. I just - had a really bad dream. Woke up before you could come in." He lied.

"...okay, well here," She poured him a glass of water and urged him to drink it before she took his blood pressure and made sure that he was telling the truth about being okay. "These are beautiful." She said looking at the sunflowers - or at least they were when Harry had brought them in. They had now dried and wilted, with most of the petals having fallen off. "Let me just clean this up."

"Wait! ... Wait, you don't have to do that." Zayn didn't want to have the flowers get thrown out.

"Oh, no don't worry. I'll just leave them here for you and throw out the water." Like she said, she thought that even in their frail and wilted form, they were still beautiful.

Zayn gave her a small smile as a thank you.

"You've been doing well, yea? Pretty soon you'll be back up and ready to start physio." A nervous itch shot from his foot up to his head at the mention of physio.

Moments later, GiGi walked in. Ahe pressed a kiss to Zayn's cheek before she sat down. "How are you feeling?"

"Good. Better each day.. I can't wait to get out of here." He said, forcing a smile.

GiGi's face stayed neutral. Their relationship hadn't improved, nor had it worsened.

"I, uh... I haven't been honest with you.." Zayn said, looking at his light blue sheets.

"Concerning?"

"Me. Haven't been honest about myself to you or anyone really. I ..."

"What, Zayn?" She pushed gently, wanting to know what he was struggling to get out.

"We aren't going to work. Ever. No matter what we do. We're not meant to work." He said, finally looking into her eyes.

"... Are you really starting this again?" She asked softly.

"GiGi I'm serious. You're not happy with me. We're just forcing this to work, and for what? Because it's how it's supposed to be? The model and the sports star -"

"I love you."

"And I love you, but we don't love each other the way a husband and wife should."

Confusion was etched on GiGi's face.

"Please, I just want us to be happy."

"And I don't make you happy?" She frowned.

"... Not in the way I want... No."

"So then tell me in what way you want, tell me what you want me to do, I'll change, I'll try, I'll -"

"It's not you! Please -"

"Please don't give me that 'it's not you its me' bullshit, Zayn, it's the oldest -"

"But it is me! It's all got to do with me!"

"This is a two-way thing, it doesn't just all fall onto -"

"I'm gay!" Zayn's confession ended their shouting match and GiGi sat back in her chair, tears streaming down her shocked face.

"What?"

"I like men. I always have, since I can remember, God. I just tried to block it out."

"You. You're gay." She repeated him and nodded slowly but Zayn didn't know of it had sunk in properly or not.

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry I put you through this, I never meant for you to get hurt and I just..."

She wiped her tears and sat up straight. "So, you were willing to live your entire life a lie?"

Zayn nodded.

"I wished you'd told me sooner." She sniffed and folded her arms over her chest.

"I'm sorry." He apologised again. He couldn't read her. Was she angry, sad, did she secretly know?

"God," She covered her eyes with a hand and bowed her head.

Was she laughing?

"I feel so stupid now thinking about how I used to tease you and Liam, saying that you guys should just get married because of how close the two of you are."

Zayn chuckled too.

"... Did you...ever,"

"What? Liam? No. No, no."

"Right! Right, I'm sorry. That was stereotyping, I'm sorry." She rubbed her forehead, apologising.

"...Have you been with a guy?" GiGi asked, her curiosity getting the better of her, making Zayn laugh nervously. "No. You know what, you don't have to talk about it. I'm sorry about all of these questions."

"No, it's fine. Uhm, well, yea I have. With Harry -"

Oh God, no.

That last part wasn't meant to come out, but it just did like word vomit.

GiGi frowned and did a double take, rewinding what Zayn said and playing it again.

"Harry? As in Harry, Harry?"

Oh.God.

"So ... wait, did you cheat on me?!" She asked narrowing her eyes and raising her voice.

".... GiGi, I never meant for it to happen when it did and hurt -"

Zayn stopped when her hand connected with his cheek - luckily it was his left side, free of stitches.

"You fucking bastard! Temptation was too much for you, wasn't it?"

Zayn squeezed his eyes closed and kept his mouth shut. Honestly, he felt like the slap was long overdue on his part.

"With someone we know, right under my nose." GiGi pulled off her wedding ring and threw it at his chest. "You'll have the divorce papers as soon as your arm is healed up, you prick."