chapter 40

Harry's graduation was one of the things had too, come and gone - much like Zayn in his life. He had sent numerous messages, reminding him of the day and then a few more on his big day. Three people were ahead of Harry as he waited for his name to be called. He scanned the large audience to try and see if he could find Zayn. He saw many of his friends' parents, boyfriends, girlfriends - even caught his own family.

But no Zayn.

Gemma could see the hurt in her brother's eyes but forced the smile to stay on her face for encouragement. She blew him a kiss right before his name could be announced and gave him a thumbs up as he walked up the ramp and towards the stage. Harry offered Gemma a gracious smile and got on with things as he made his way to accept his degree.

***

"Couldn't stay away, hmm?"

Zayn looked down at his scuffed up trainers. "No."

"It's okay, baby. Come here." GiGi cooed and wrapped her arms around Zayn's neck. His own arms wrapped themselves around her slender waist but he still found himself paying more attention to his shoes.

"Hey," She tilted his chin up and stared into his hazel eyes. The look she gave Zayn scared him because it was as if she could read his thoughts. "It's okay." She said softly and stroked his cheekbone with her thumb. "Everything's going to be okay now that we're back together. You're gonna sort yourself out and be the best again, okay?"

"I just ...."

"Shh. Stop, Zayn, it's okay. I get it. You're sorry, it's okay though. You don't need to worry because you've got me back." GiGi pressed her soft lips to Zayn and he willed his brain to enjoy it - it was a nice kiss, and it felt nice to be touched like this after a while..but no matter how hard he tried he just couldn't. "I love you." She said once she pulled away and pressed her forehead against his.

".. I love you too." He whispered and smiled a bit.

***

The sound of waves creeping up to the shore, so close to touching Harry's bare feet, set his mind at ease. All he can focus on is the white foam, how the bubbles disappear just as fast as they appear.

He picks his head up and looks out into the water. Zayn's there, standing waist deep in the ocean. "Harry!" He beams as soon as he spots Harry and yells over mother nature's sounds of water and seagulls. Harry squints and waves at him, watching him trot out of the water. "Hi! You came." Zayn says, the smile refusing to leave his face. He still sounds so far away even though he's standing right in front of him.

Harry's just about to say something but Zayn cuts him off by giving him a tight hug. The saltwater on his body immediately soaks through Harry's white cotton shirt. Zayn's so cold to touch, almost freezing, but he doesn't look it one bit.

The contrasting sensations of the hot sun beating down on his back and Zayn's cold body against his front has him feeling odd and he wants to let go of Zayn so that he can face the sun.

"You came." Zayn repeats himself, and this time, it's the only thing that Harry hears.

Wake up.

Harry forced his eyes to shoot open. He's lying on his side, facing his window. Dammit he's forgotten to close the curtains again and it looks like their neighbours are throwing one hell of a party judging from the neon green and pink lights that dance on his wooden floor, lighting up the small section of his dark room.

Harry can hear ringing in his ears. He doesn't know if he's hearing music, random bird calls or having auditory hallucinations. He turns on his back and that's when the shrill sound of someone's car alarm pierces his ears and really startles him, making his heart jump. Now he's fully awake but trying to convince himself to just shut his eyes and he'll be back to sleep in no time.

Sleep, Harry. It's probably super late.

He wanted to check the time but that would just give him an excuse to look at one of Zayn's social media accounts or text him, and he wants to do none of that because he's still hurt over the fact that not only had Zayn not showed up to his graduation, but he hasn't been returning his messages or calls.

All Harry wants to do is have a good cry and talk about what's on his mind, but he's been doing that a lot lately and he feels that both Gemma and Louis are probably sick of hearing about him go on and on about Zayn.

I wonder if Lou's awake...maybe I could bribe him with some coffee and kahlúa ...but then Gemma could be here and ugh I don't need to see that in my life, thanks.

He's heard the constant sounds of Gemma either sneaking out or, Louis sneaking in after being at her place.

The love sick twits. It's sickening, honestly. I should just go to whatever damn party is happening.

But he doesn't. Instead he stays in the same position, staring at the mesmerising night lights. Harry's always been so busy taking care of other people and worrying about them, if they're okay, if they're happy and satisfied that he's neglected and forgotten how to care for himself and that's what he wants right now. Somebody to love him and tell him that he's been doing a good job so far and that everything is going to be okay in the end.