chapter 45

After the first month, Zayn and GiGi went to the hospital for an emergency checkup after GiGi had randomly started spotting.

"Zayn, this isn't normal -"

"Are you in pain or anything?"

"No, no - it's just light cramps, but we need to go, now. I'm scared."

"Get in the car, babe."

He hadn't felt a fear like this since - well, he couldn't remember.

"What's happening?" GiGi anxiously asked the nurse who was busy with the ultrasound.

The nurse frowned and stayed silent, her eyes glued to the monitor. "Let me go and get the doctor for you -"

"She asked a question." Zayn said with an irritated frown of his own.

"Sir, let me go and get Doctor Brown -"

"Can you just fucking do your job and tell us?!"

"Zayn," GiGi tried to calm him and placed her hand over his. When he looked down all of his anger had dissapated upon seeing the silent tears flow down her face. His features softened and he sat down again beside her and held her hand back. The nurse took the moment of calm to rush out to go and get the doctor before Zayn could bite her head off again.

Zayn brought GiGi's hand to his lips and gently kissed her knuckles. "It's okay. Don't cry. It's going to be fine." He said trying to convince both himself and her.

As soon as Doctor Brown entered the room both Zayn and GiGi's heads snapped towards him. He had greeted them and immediately turned his attention to the monitor. The room was tense with the couple drowning in silence.

Doctor Brown released a deep sigh and finally turned to them. "I'm very sorry, folks."

GiGi's face immediately twisted with pain and sorrow as the news she didn't want was confirmed. Tears had welled up in Zayn's eyes too but he sat still. No emotion left in him for another ourburst. "Uhm, how -?" His voice cracked when he tried to finish his sentence, but just couldn't.

"Miscarriages in the first trimester are actually more common than we realise, it's just that many people don't talk about it. It's normally just a problem with the chromosomes which makes it difficult for the foetus to develop properly and it just unfortunately doesn't." Doctor Brown said sympathetically. "It's not your fault, Mrs Malik, and you will be able to try again in a few weeks."

"Zayn, I'm sorry." She forced out.

"GiGi, it's okay." Zayn's whispered back.

"I know that these things can be difficult, so again I'm very sorry. Do you have anymore questions?" Both Zayn and GiGi shook their heads 'no' at the doctor. "I'll give you guys some time then." Doctor Brown said with a curt nod before he left.

That night Zayn and GiGi fell asleep in each others arms with real, genuine emotion as they tried to comfort each other from the pain that they had felt. GiGi could not stop apologising and Zayn, who felt that this could have partially been his fault, couldn't stop apologising in his mind either.

***

Harry had just stepped out on his lunch break to head over to the nearest deli and get something to eat. Ever since that weekend when Gemma confided in him about her pregnancy, he'd been anxiously waiting for her to tell Louis and, ever since that fateful weekend, he had not heard from Louis or his sister at all.

As Harry was deciding on what he felt like getting, he turned ever so slightly and out of the corner of his eye saw a black figure run past the shop window.