chapter 8

"What the fuck was that?!" Liam shouted as soon as he barged into the bathroom, just in time to see Zayn spit out blood that had pooled in his mouth.

*

"Louis, what are you doing here?" Liam had asked Louis, who ignored him and made his way straight to Zayn.

"You got a big fucking mouth, you know that?!" Louis shouted and Zayn was just about to ask him what in earth he was going on about when Louis' fist connected with his jaw, sending him to the ground. Louis landed another two blows to his face, hitting him square in the eye on on his nose before he was pulled off by one of Zayn's friends.

"Leave him," Zayn said after he saw Louis stumble after being hit.

"You're a right prick." Louis said before leaving.

*

"Zayn -"

"What Liam?" Zayn shouted. "Just some shit okay, it's fine."

"Oh? It's so fine? Look at your damn face, man!" Liam pointed to the mirror and Zayn looked at his bruised and bloody reflection.

Zayn didn't need to look though. He could feel the effects perfectly well. "I just said some dumb shit to a friend of his." Zayn muttered and washed the blood off of his hands.

"Oh, Christ." Liam sighed and rolled his eyes. "Louis was right, you've got a big fucking mouth and now see where it's gotten you this time."

"Alright mate, I get it." Zayn lifted his hand to stop Liam. "I'll sort it out, alright?"

"Fuck sake, Zayn. You better.." Liam took in a deep breath before softening his tone. "Do you need to go to the hospital?"

"No." Zayn shook his head. Thankfully nothing was broken.

After taking Zayn's word that he was indeed alright, Liam left him alone so that Zayn could finish cleaning up.

He knows he shouldn't have said what he said to Harry, it was disgusting. Now all he needed to work out was how to apologise. He had no way of contacting Harry - unless he asked Liam...

Fuck.

"Do you have Harry's number?"

"That's who you pissed off? What did you even say to him?" Liam asked after lacing up his soccer shoes and standing up to really get a good look at Zayn's bruised face.

"Look it doesn't matter, alright? I'm trying to make things better now, so do you have his number or not?" Zayn snapped.

If it was anyone else, they would have told Zayn to go and jump off a cliff because of his attitude, but Liam had known him for ten years now and knew that Zayn didn't mean to be like this.

"Yea. You're lucky I just got it the other night." Liam said whilst digging in his sports bag for his phone.

Zayn mumbled a thanks and quickly took down Harry's number "Look, I'm gonna miss the rest of practice today -"

"Yea no worries. Go get some rest and we'll see you next week?" Liam nodded in understanding.

"Thanks. See ya, mate."

Now. To call Harry - no. Message him. Who even calls anyone anymore?

Zayn: Hey

- no, backspace

Zayn: Harry. It's Zayn. Before you block this number I just wanted to say that I shouldn't have said what I did.

Harry was busy spreading a mixture of Nutella and crunchy peanut butter onto an oreo (he really can't help his sweet tooth) when his phone vibrated against the counter top.

He licked the remains of the sticky sweet spreads from his fingers and pressed his phone button with his elbow, frowning at the unknown number on the screen.

His thumb stilled between his lips once he had read the message and now, instead of shock and sadness, anger coursed through his veins.

Harry: Is that your apology?

Harry: Because it's a joke

Zayn was sat with his phone in his hands, waiting for Harry's reply and when he saw it, he thought about just not reply if this was how Harry was going to be.

Zayn: Well I don't know what you want from me? I'm sorry

Harry: Yea. Whatever. It's not the least bit meaningful so you can shove it

"Oh my God..." Zayn groaned and leaned back into his couch.

Zayn: Fine then. I'll meet you somewhere tomorrow afternoon to apologise.

I'll even bring a bouquet of flowers. Zayn thought surly.

Harry: Fine. Coffee shop on Adams Rd, 14:00