Epilogue

"Dad? .... Dad?"

"Yes?" Zayn shouted from his room. The shirt he was busy folding was thrown into his bag before he left his room to see what it was that his daughter needed. "Yes, Evalia?" Zayn asked once he was downstairs. He looked around to see an empty living room. "Eva-"

"I'm in the study!" She shouted again.

"What are you up to, busy body?" Zayn laughed once he was walked to the study.

"I was looking for some coloured paper, I remember I saw some the last time I was in here. I was doing a project and printed stuff out." Zayn saw her scratching around in one of the draws. "And then I found this, ow!" She stands up, knocking her funny bone on the handle of the chair on her way up.

She's clutching something in her hand but Zayn's more worried about her minor injury.

"Oh, jeez. You okay?" He asks, bending slightly.

"Yea. Stupid chair." She rubbed her elbow and then pulled the plastic bag she had found in the draw out from under her arm. "What's this?"

Zayn took it out if her hand to inspect. Thick creases decorated his forehead. "... Sunflowers... From your papa when I was in hospital a while back." He says and handed them back to her with a smile on his face.

"Your accident?" Evalia asked and Zayn nods. She pressed the dried flowers through its plastic bag. "... Can I have them for a home project?"

"Of course you can." Zayn said and smoothed a hand over her dark brown, almost black hair. She smiled up at Zayn, grabbed whatever arts and crafts she needs and told Zayn about her art lesson that she loved last week before she went to sit at the spacious dining table so rhat she could work at.

*

"Knock, knock!"

The sound of excited and eager clatter of claws against the wooden floors could be heard as a blur of heavy black fur slipped and slid to the door.

"Benny, don't run or you'll fall again!" Evalia said from her seat, but her dog refused to listen to her, happiness overtaking all of his senses.

"Hello muppet, what's holding your attention so much that Benny comes to greet me first?" Harry walked in and asked his daughter. He poked her in the hip after he pressed a kiss to the top of her head when she took too long to answer him.

"Papa, stop!"

"What have you got there?" He picked up the eight year old to sit her on his lap after taking her seat.

His face fell when he spotted the broken, creased and discoloured sunflowers strewn across black paper.

"Daddy said you gave them to him when he was in hospital long ago?"

"I did." Harry said softly.

I can't believe he kept them.

"Last week Mrs Golding made us press flowers and stick them to paper. So I thought I could do the same with these." She said excitedly and hugged Harry's side.

"Can I help?" He asked after he found his voice again.

"Yes!" Evalia answered him excitedly.

Benny, with his thick and luscious fur comes over to sit at Harry's feet. His purple tongue sticking out. "Hello, mister." Harry spoke to the young Chow Chow. "Where's dad?" He turned to Evalia and asked her.

"Packing."

"Oh." Harry screwed up his mouth.

"I know." Evalia's tone and expression matched his own.

"He'll be back soon, love."

"Mm." She hummed and focused on her artwork. "Just miss him especially when he plays soccer on weekends."

Harry kissed the top of her head and arranged the flowers on the piece of paper so Evalia can stick them down. "Hey, I forgot to mention, uncle Lou and aunt Gem are going to be coming over in a bit."

She gasped and turned to Harry and he knows that she's excited to have a playmate, their son, Aaron come around.

A few minutes later the doorbell rang.

"I'll get it." Zayn said as he made his way downstairs. "Oh, hello." He greeted Harry once he laid eyes on him.

"Hi," Harry tilted his head up to peck Zayn.

"Look at this." The flower art holds his attention more than the doorbell he's just heard.

"Can't believe you kept them." Harry said with a whimsical look.

Zayn bends in between his husband and child to give both of them a kiss on the cheek. "I love you guys." Benny, feeling left out, jumped onto Harry's chair and wagged his tail. "And I love you too, Benny." Zayn laughed.

Harry was left with their dog after Zayn left with Evalia to greet Gemma, Louis and Aaron.

"Gosh, Gemma you look like you're ready to pop." He heard Zayn in the distance.

"I feel like it." She groaned about baby number two.

"Looking like my beautiful little blueberry toda- ow!" And there's Louis.

A single petal was left to be stuck down, which Harry took upon himself to do so that the picture was finally completed. "Come on, Benny." He said to the faithful dog after he stands.

The next time that Zayn walks by, he has to stop and look at the finished piece. Smiling down at the five sunflowers, he decides that it's one of the most beautiful pieces of art he's ever seen and makes a mental note to get it framed, it represents him and his family perfectly.

×××

A/N: if you stayed til the end....IT WAS TRASH I TOLD YA'LL. Like, I wanted to write about these themes but I was hella busy with life and this story just went to shit man :/ (and it was going to have a bleak ending 🏃 but nevertheless, thank you for voting and adding to any lists! 🌹 loosely based on the movie 'The Pass')