chapter 43

"Are you sure, Zayn?" Liam asked Zayn as he did up his bow tie for him.

"Are you sure you haven't asked that question enough already?" Zayn quipped but Liam ignored him and pressed his lips together in a tight line which showed his annoyance with his best friend.

"Just saying. Haven't been engaged for that long."

"But I've known her a long time, Liam."

"You're -"

"Zayn," Zayn's father walked into their room with a wide smile on his face. "I am so proud of you, son." Liam took a step back once he made sure Zayn looked like a solid ten.

"Thanks, dad." Zayn smiled to his father who cupped his face and pressed a loving and proud kiss to his forehead.

"I'll leave you guys alone -"

"Nonsense, Liam! You're family, stay." Zayn's dad, who seemed to be the only one who truly looked genuinely excited for this wedding said. "I've just been to see GiGi and she looks stunning - bit of a nervous wreck but it'll all be fine." He said with a light chuckle and dusted some fluff off of Zayn's shoulder.

Zayn nodded and took in a deep breath before he turned to face the full length mirror to take in his appearance. "Okay, let's do this then." He straightened his bow tie one last time and gave his father and best man each, a look before he led the way the the alter.

There was no time stopping moment once he saw his future wife at the beginning of the aisle, and if she was honest, GiGi didn't feel anything once she saw Zayn either. No tears, no butterflies, no fireworks.

"You look beautiful." Zayn said to her as soon as they had joined hands at the altar. With that, he was being completely honest. GiGi looked beautiful, like an angel really.

Zayn could feel her hands trembling ever so slightly in his and, for the first time in his life, saw that she was really nervous. Doniya, who was one of the bridesmaids wouldn't look at Zayn. She wouldn't look at anyone really and kept her eyes fixed on the small bouquet of flowers that she held in her hands.

It looked like the fairytale wedding that almost every little girl would dream about for years and years to come. Flowers littered the hall, soft hues of pinks and creams set the tone perfectly and fit well with the theme of love and happiness, a picturesque bride and groom with the perfect white lace dress and pristine tuxedo. But at what cost would the aesthetics pay off without a happy heart or mind?

"Do you take Zayn to be your husband?" The old priest had asked with such a kind hearted and, genuine smile.

GiGi smiled at Zayn and nodded. "Yes, I do."

Zayn felt like he had just swallowed a cup of boiling water. His entire throat and chest ablaze.

This was it.

***

Two years later

Zayn Malik.

Mention the name around any die hard soccer fan and they'll tell you that he's the one to watch at the moment. One of Manchester United's most treasured, youngest players that's showing the world that he's here for a reason.

"If he's this good now and he's only in his twenties, imagine how great he'll be in a few years?"

"I just really want to see him at the FIFA World Cup. I think he'll do us all so proud."

"My little sister loves him - and soccer - so much. He's been such an inspiration to her. He's great. A great role model."

He was surrounded by everything that millions of people wished they had; money, a beautiful wife who loved him, a luxurious car and home - yes it was nice. Very nice. He was comfortable with his materialistic things. But the thing was, he couldn't really forget about a person like Harry, even if he had gone for lengths of time with not seeing or hearing about him. His personality and charisma got Zayn right from the minute he had met him. It sparked an interest in him which in turn made him yearn for Harry more and more.

So, two years later, Zayn found himself in the prime of his life and career - or at least, that's what he'd always tell himself when unexplained bouts of depression wild randomly hit him - whether it was when he quickly popped into the shop to buy some milk or went to the cinema to watch the movie he'd been itching to see.

"Zayn." GiGi walked towards him. Her new, gold, Louboutin's echoed throughout the passage and soon the lounge as she neared Zayn.

He hadn't reply to her with words but simply leaned forward on the couch and looked up at her only to be met with a pregnancy stick that she held in her outstretched hand.

A frown formed on Zayn's face as he took the stick, looked at it and saw that the two vertical lines signified a positive pregnancy result.

"I'm pregnant." GiGi told him as she handed him the box that it had come in, so that he could see the truth for himself. He felt mixed emotions in that moment. He was excited and scared. A child - his child.

Finally he looked up at GiGi's solemn expression and stood up. "Are you happy?" What an odd thing he found himself asking in a soft voice.

"I don't know. It's not like we had planned this... I don't know if I'm ready. Are you?" She answered and, asked him honestly.

"... Yea, I guess."

Their dialogue could not have been more awkward for an onlooker to watch. Tension was thick all around them - not just now, but all the time, tension just followed them everywhere and right now, it had become extremely heightened.

"I think that we need this. For us, for this," 'This' being their broken and dead marriage. GiGi awkwardly held at his free hand and Zayn looked at the tiny confirmation stick.

He needed a drink to steady his nerves. He was going to be a father and he didn't know how to process that. A million thoughts and questions flashed through his mind.

How am I going to cope?
What exactly do I have to do?
Can I even do this?
I've never even changed a diaper before.
How do you find a good enough nanny around here?
Will I be a good father?

He drowned all of that out with some whiskey and quickly poured himself another glass which he chose to slowly sip on. Once the alcohol slowly started to have its calming affect on Zayn that he so greatly desired, he found his thought pattern changing.

Maybe this will bring us closer. This is what I needed, a genuine happy family.
Maybe I will be a good father.