chapter 49

Two and a half weeks later

Zayn felt like a couple of pairs of hands were smothering him. They were pinching his nostrils shut, a hand clamped over his mouth and one with a tight grip on his throat.

"Zayn, Zayn! It's okay. Wake up."

He struggled to speak, struggled to breathe, struggled to move and then felt the pain. It coursed through his body, starting from his toes and travelling right up to his spine, over and over again. Getting more severe each time. When his vision cleared he realised that people were hovering over him, pressing something against his nose and mouth were nurses with a mask that fed him oxygen to wake him up.

He tried to raise his arms, moaning in pain when he realised that he couldn't.

"Relax, Zayn. It's okay." The woman on the left said.

"Breathe." The other on the right instructed him.

He turned his head away from the oxygen mask that he was furiously wanting to fight just seconds ago.

"Zayn? Can you speak for us? How are you feeling?"

Tears pricked at the corners of his eyes as he looked at the side of the room.

What the hell is this?

"Mum?"

"Your mum's outside, Zayn. Dad, sisters. All of your family and friends. You were in quite a nasty car accident."

He groaned sluggishly.

Soon, there was another voice that walked in and greeted him. "Zayn, how are you? Can you answer a few questions for me?"

Zayn turned his head back up, focusing on the ceiling.

"Do you remember the accident?"

All the Zayn could remember was a pair of bright lights and then a loud crash. "No." He rasped, his mouth so incredibly dry.

"Can you tell me where you're from, Zayn?"

He took an abnormally long pause. ".... Bradford."

"That's right, can you tell me things about yourself."

"I just want to sleep." He grumbled, wanting to shut all of the pain off.

"We just want to know a few things to make sure that you're alright, then you can get right back to resting. How old are you, Zayn?"

"...twenty...six?"

"Do you remember your family? What are their names?"

Zayn remembered. He remembered everything, there was nothing wrong with his memories, but he was slow and cautious concerning his answers.

"Bring his family in." The doctor said to one of the nurses who went to open the door.

He couldn't explain the relief he had felt when he saw his parents and sisters, suddenly feeling like a child again.

"Oh God, Zayn." His mother was already in tears of joy this time, happy to see him awake above everything else.

"You asshole, I thought you had died." Doniya whispered when she hugged him, being as gentle as she could. The scolding actually made Zayn feel a bit better and he managed to smile.

Zayn then turned to GiGi who was standing next to him.

"I'm sorry."

"Shh, don't. Not now. It's okay, you're okay and that's all that matters right now." She silenced him not wanting him to be more stressed than he probably already was. "Get some rest." She pushed his hair out of his face and stroked his uninjured cheek.

"Zee," Doniya sat on the edge of his bed and focused on her hands in her lap.

"Yea?"

"Some friends are going to come and see you too... They were here earlier on." Zayn expected that because of the close friends that he had, he found nothing out of the ordinary but stayed silent when he noticed how tentative his sisters' tone and body language was.

"Liam .... and Harry."

"...Oh."

Doniya watched him try to keep a neutral expression, but saw in his eyes that he was shocked upon the mention of Harry's name. He had
thought that he'd never see him again and, as much as he had wanted to ask Doniya more about him he couldn't, not with his spouse right next to him, holding his hand. He nodded and decided to focus on the other people in the room his doctor who was one of them. Zayn watched him scribble down some notes before he walked forward, standing at the foot of the bed. "So how long will I be in here for?"

"Well, your tibia was crushed against the car door as soon as you came into contact with the pole. Fractured patella and hip bone, so that should take three to six months to completely heal up."

Jesus.

"Your clavicle should heal in about four to eight weeks and about the same for your arm about six to eight weeks. Now," he clicked his pen and held it next to Zayn's foot. "Can you feel this?" Zayn jerked his leg back and groaned in pain as the rest if his body moved slightly from the force.

"Christ. Yes I felt it." Zayn said wiggling his toes, wanting the ticklish sensation gone.

The doctor chuckled and apologised before dragging his pen along Zayn's right foot. "Zayn?" He frowned slightly. "Did you feel that?" He asked, repeating his actions and Zayn's entire leg stayed still. He tried to sit up to see just where the doctor would touch him and realised that his right leg was completely numb compared to the rest of his body.

"Do it again?" Zayn asked and when the doctor did, he shook his head.

There was no sensation at all and right now, he was screaming to himself to move his leg in the slightest bit, but he couldn't no matter how much he forced it.

"What - why can't he move his leg?" His mother, Trisha asked.

"It could be a generalised paralysis - can you move both arms?"

"Yes," Zayn nodded, growing more and more worried by the minutes.

"It's called monoplegia. It's the paralysis of a single arm or leg."

"How bad is it, it's only temporary, right? I mean it's one leg...?" Zayn asked a little frantically.

"... We need to do tests on your spine to find out the severity of it.."

No. No no no no. This would mean the end of everything.

The end of what Zayn worked so hard for, for so long.