chapter 39

"Man, Zayn really fucked up at practice." Niall said said as he picked up his slice of pizza.

"What do you mean?" Liam frowned and Niall moved the cheesy goodness away from his mouth again so that he could speak.

"Got into it with a mate, Shawn -"

"What?" Liam's eyes narrowed at the revelation. "Shit." Liam immediately got out his phone and texted Zayn.

***

Zayn hadn't listened to Harry and gone to coach Anderson to speak to him about what had happened between him and Shawn. Match day came and went, Doniya visited her rather dull and lifeless brother - alone. She had told Waliyha that he wasn't in the best head space right now, and their younger sister hadn't given it a second question. So, Doniya had left again, and now; now it was almost the end of February.

Zayn's face looked sunken. He had dark circles under his eyes, dry skin and greasy hair. Not only was his normally pristine appearance off, but so was his personality, and everyone started to notice.

Harry worried about him but was glad that he made the effort to reply to just some of his messages when he had asked him if he was well or if he needed anything.

*

"...Hey mate...you okay?" Niall asked Zayn as he took off his soccer boots.

"Yea. I'm fine." Zayn lied. His playing was off, he wouldn't communicate to his teammates - he just didn't put in a hundred percent like he always would and now coach Anderson was wondering if perhaps he had made a mistake by scouting Zayn.

"You've been so...distant lately..you sure you're alright?"

"Niall, I said I'm fine. I've just been really tired and out of it lately, okay?" He said in a flat voice.

Niall nodded and was about to let it go but suddenly remembered something and moved a little closer to Zayn. "Is this about Harry? Because when I went through my breakup with ....."

Time froze for Zayn as soon as he had heard Harry's name.

Zayn's hand was around Niall's throat in an instance. "What did you say?" He asked and shoved him into the nearest locker he could find.

"Wait, I was just -" Niall struggled against Zayn's vice grip. "I thought you and Harry were together -"

"And how the fuck did you come to that conclusion?"

Niall squeezed his eyes shut and tried to pry Zayn's hand off of him but was no match for his brute strength at the moment.

"I saw you guys outside the pub one night..."

Zayn's angry features slowly turned to worry and shock.

"...and you guys kissed - I just saw you and Harry hang out a lot, I'm sorr-"

"Did you fucking tell anyone?" Zayn asked in a dangerous, heated whisper.

"I mean, the only person I told was Shawn. But he's your friend and he said he worried -"

"What friend?!"

"He said that he went to school with you when you guys were little! Zayn I didn't know, I'm sorry!"

Shawn had gone on lying about being a worried friend of Zayn's and gotten information about him to use against him. He had taken advantage of Niall's caring manner and played him like a damn fiddle.

"We're all just worried about you, Zee." Niall said not knowing that the only person Shawn cared about was himself. Zayn wanted to lash out, but he told himself to stop and think.

"What else did you tell him?" He asked and smoothed his hair back with both of his hands.

"That he's always been worried because of stuff you went through..."

"We've never gotten along, Niall. He put me through hell."

"Zayn..I'm so sorry, I didn't know. I -" Niall furrowed his brows and said.

"You were just trying to help. I get it. But I wish you didn't." Zayn said shaking his head.

*

"You know, it all makes sense now why your scrawny ass left such a fit bird like GiGi." Zayn heard an all too familiar voice from behind him as he made his way to his car in the parking lot.

Oh God, Niall. You really did tell him a lot.

"What the fuck do you want with me, you fucking prick?!" Zayn spun around to face Shawn.

"I don't want you and your little fucking...'thing' you have going on with some guy to fuck up our team and have all of us be the laughing stock of the academy!"

"Not that it's any of your damn business but you have nothing to worry about because nothing is going on with me and anyone." Shawn stepped forward, ready for Zayn if he had to try anything this time and stood his ground, making no attempt to hide his homophobia. "All you need to worry about is your stroke of luck that got you on this damn team. Now stay out of my business and stay out of my way or so help me God, I will make your life a living hell."

"Physical assault already got you a warning, Zayn, so you had better be very careful with what you say to me." Shawn said arrogantly and stared at Zayn who fought with all of his might not to send a flying right hand right into Shawn's jaw. Instead, he promptly turned on his heel and made his way to his car like he did before his attention was caught. He needs to focus on himself and get back to what he was because that's what drove him to he the greatest and that's what made him the best. He knew what he needed to do and before he could start his car, sent an important message.

Zayn: Can we patch things up? Call me.