chapter 22

As soon as Zayn was back in Bradford he had mixed feelings. On the one hand, he was happy to be with his family again but in the other hand, he already missed Harry terribly.

Once he reached the doorstep, he knocked three times, thereafter, expecting his mum to open up but was nearly knocked off of his feet by another body flying into his arms.

"Surprise!" His sisters shouted from inside.

Zayn's eyes were as big as saucers and his arms spread out awkwardly, not holding the body attached to his "Gi? Hi..what a surprise." He forced his voice to sound happier.

"Oh, my Zaynie! I missed you so much, I hoped on the first plane back as soon as I heard you were coming back today." GiGi mumbled into his neck and tightened her grip around his shoulders.

"Yea, I missed you too." Zayn chuckled, trying to shake off his shock and pulls away to give her a small peck hello.

"GiGi's gonna stay with until Christmas." His youngest sister told him after she pulled away from his hug and Zayn nodded while trying to swallow the 'Oh?' that was bubbling in his throat.

"And then I was hoping that you could come stay with my family after Christmas and for new years?" GiGi said wrapping an arm around his waist.

Oh fucking hell. Spend a month with her?

"Yea." Zayn avoided eye contact with her, but his simple answer was enough to get her all giddy and excited again. "Where's mum?" He asked Doniya as his sisters and GiGi retreated to the lounge.

"At the shop. She'll be back soon. So how's everything been? You been well?"

"Yea.. I've been okay." He frowned and sifted through the cupboards, settling on a box of open Oreos to snack on. He hated surprises like this, more so because of everything that was going in his life at the moment. "'M going to 'npack." He spoke through a mouthful of biscuits and trudged his bags behind him as he made his way to his old bedroom upstairs.

Harry: home safe?

Zayn: just arrived, you?

Harry: yep been here for hours :)

Zayn: that's good :) chat later yea?

Zayn cringed and locked his phone again. With his mind swimming with thoughts, he knew he'd be awkward towards Harry and knew that Harry would pick up on it.

*

"How was modelling?"

"SO great. I was just showing Waliyha my portfolio - hold on I'll go get it for you now." GiGi said, hoping off the couch.

Her energy and enthusiasm to just be with Zayn again was tiring him out.

"Don," He quietly got his older sister's attention. "Can we chat later on?"

Doniya slowly nodded her head and let her forehead crease slightly.

"Okay, so this was the first photoshoot we did..." GiGi was back on the couch with Zayn's arm draped loosely over her shoulders, listening to her go on about her trip.

Doniya watched her brother nod and hum to whatever it was that his girlfriend was saying but saw that he held no interest for being in this position at all and had an inkling about just what it was that he wanted to chat about.

***

Harry was looking at his phone, waiting for Zayn to come online so that he could chat to him again.

"That Zayn?" Gemma caught him off guard as she walked behind the couch he was sprawled on to come and sit opposite him, near the fireplace.

Harry's cheeks flushed and his throat went dry. He didn't answer Gemma who raised her eyebrows, waiting for his answer.

"Lou told me about the new friends you guys made. You and Zayn really hit it off, huh?" She continued, trying to fish the answer out of him.

"Oh. Yes. Uhm... He was just asking about this soccer match. He's cool - Liam's really cool too." Harry cleared his throat, feeling it tighten up as he lied about a soccer match. "So, I was thinking that we could go ice skating tomorrow? Hang out a bit?" He quickly changed the subject and tucked his phone under the cushion before leaning back.

"Sure. That's fine." Gemma picked at the bow on her slipper. "So Haz, have you decided what you're going to do next year?"

That earned another blank stare from Harry until it clicked that he had just completed his honours year.

"Well, if I pass -"

"You will." She chuckled lightly.

"I was thinking child psych. Maybe apply at a few schools and see what they say." He scratched at his neck. He had always loved children and being a child psychologist was always at the top of his list of professions.

Venturing into a new job made him feel a bit uneasy yet excited. His only worry was would he start a new relationship too?