chapter 10

Not seeing Zayn was not a likely feat. Liam loved going out just as much as Louis did and, loved having a big crowd tag along with them.

So of course, on this Saturday night, Harry found himself sitting next to Liam and opposite Zayn, once again.

It was a colder night compared to others seeing as it had raining for the past week. Surprise, surprise.

Harry played with the thread of his sweater sleeve and found himself getting lost in the loud crowd of the pub.

"Hey?? What's with you?"

Harry looked up at the voice. Of course Zayn's girlfriend had to be the one to care about why he was being so antisocial tonight.

"You're so boring, get a drink or something." She laughed and tapped her hand on the table as if to try and revive Harry's mind.

"What's up?" Zayn, who seemed to cone to his rescue, asked him before Harry could reply to GiGi.

Upon hanging out with their group of friends, Zayn and Harry stayed civil towards each other, but no effort was made to become friendly in anyway.

"Nothing. I'm just drained from the week." He shrugged.

"Exams?" Zayn asked, lifting his bottle of beer to his lips and keeping his eyes on Harry to see him nod. "What are you studying anyway?" He asked after finishing off his drink.

"Psychology."

"Oh, so can you like, read minds? Can you tell what I'm thinking right now?" Zayn asked with a playful smile.

"That's a psychic."

You idiot. Harry thought but still let a soft smile grace his lips as he shook his head.

"So do you like, analyse people? Is that why you're so quiet? Just like figuring them out?" Zayn asked, leaning forward.

"No. I don't just walk around trying to figure people out." Harry said, slightly annoyed at the questions.

"Wow. Well, I'd love to just sit around and get paid for doing nothing." Zayn said with a light chuckle.

"Excuse me?" Harry's eyes widened.

"Come on, don't shrinks always say 'tell me about yourself,' or 'What was your childhood like?' People literally pay you to listen to them. Easy job." He shrugged and Harry must have looked like how he usually does in his stats lectures - a bit lost.

"You're unbelievable." He said shaking his head and standing up, heading over to the bar.

"Uhm, is there a problem?"

That's not the bartenders' voice.

"Can you just .... piss off?!" Harry said turning to face Zayn.

"What's your deal? I was just trying to be friendly and make conversation with you." Zayn frowned.

"You call that being friendly? Do you just stereotype everything about everyone you meet??" Harry asked in slight bewilderment. "You're so fucking crass, ignorant, arrogant - God! The list goes on and on. How do you even have someone as nice as Liam as your best friend?! How does he tolerate you, fucking hell?!"

Zayn sucked in his already hallowed cheeks and broke eye contact with Harry, opting to look at his black combat boots.

Harry had definitely hit a nerve with him and he was trying hard not to show it.

Harry didn't know why he snapped the way he did at Zayn, but seeing his face right now made him regret doing so. "Zayn, I'm -"

"It's cool, man. Two beers. It's on me." He said lacing his fingers together after throwing a ten pound note on the counter and waiting for the bartender to get them.

After Zayn slid his drink towards him, he turned and headed back to the table, leaving Harry watching him with a frown on his face.

What is it about this guy? Harry couldn't wrap his head around it - couldn't for the life of him understand why, but he really did want to get to know Zayn. It just seemed like it wasn't going to be happening. They were like chalk and cheese.

After Harry's outburst Zayn was withdrawn and reserved, and even though he really just wanted to get black out drunk, he refrained from doing so, knowing it would just make things so much worse.

"Baby," GiGi cooed and ran a hand down his cheek, letting it settle on his neck. "This is so boring. Tonight is just... blah." She complained and pouted.

Zayn was just about to ask her if she wanted to get out of here with him when Harry was back at the table, leaning over a few people to say something to Louis before... waving? He's leaving?

Louis snuck a glance at Zayn - still not his biggest fan but thought he'd give him another chance when he heard that he had made a good effort to apologise to Harry.

Harry placed the untouched beer that Zayn had bought for him on the table, and awkwardly said goodbye to him and GiGi before leaving them.

"Let's do shots. Come on?" GiGi suggested, shaking Zayn's shoulder gently and, doing a complete 180, Zayn agreed and proceeded to do what he wanted to do earlier.

***

Harry sat comfortably watching the movie, 'The Way, Way Back', snuggled into the plush couch with a warm fuzzy purply blanket thrown over him when the door swung open, laughter and shouting immediately filling the little apartment and nearly giving Harry a heart attack.

"HAZZA." Louis shouted, arm in arm...with Zayn??? The pair looking like long lost best friends.

Harry raised his eyebrows questioning them but said nothing about their friendliness towards each other.

"Uhm, okay, come on, Lou." He said rising to his feet. "Let's get you to sleep."

"Mm, the velvet." Louis mumbled and slowly walked with Harry to his bedroom.

Once he was done taking care of his best friend, he went to check on Zayn who was leaning on their kitchen counter, looking like he was about to pass out.

"Zayn?" Harry called and stood a few feet away from him. "Do you need me to call Liam? Or you wanna sleep on the couch?"

Where the hell is Liam anyway? What the hell is going on?

Zayn groaned and lifted his torso, staring at Harry a bit before full on grinning at him and, Harry knew that look. It was that same look Zayn had on his face that night they had had sex in the bathroom stall.

"No, Harry. But I can tell you what I do want." He slurred and sauntered over to Harry to hold the back of his neck and whisper into his ear. "I want you to fuck me, nice and hard." Zayn whispered and laughed before pulling his face back and bringing a finger to his lips. "But it has to be a secret. No one can know." He laughed again and tried to kiss Harry, only to slump against him, falling into his arms.