chapter 12

It was Monday morning when Harry went to his favourite coffee shop to get a cup and snack to go before he jammed in some final extra lessons before his exam. What he didn't expect to find there was Zayn, standing in line, waiting to be served.

"Zayn?"

Shit.

He wasn't meant to say that out loud - it just sort of left his lips on impulse.

Zayn turned to show Harry half of his face and gave him a nod.

"Sorry. I didn't mean to say that out loud." Harry, again, blurts out.

"Oh... uh, okay." Zayn frowns and turns to show the back of his head again.

Shit! Harry come on. Pull yourself together. One time you're over him, and then the next - as soon as he mentions sex, you turn into blubber again?

"I'm sorry -" Harry steps closer to Zayn and apologises for his weird behaviour. Zayn really had some type of weird effect on him. "Uh," He played with the strap of his sling bag and was just about to speak again when Zayn moved forward and ordered some coffee and a chocolate muffin.

Let's just start fresh.

"How are you?" Harry smiles right in Zayn's face once he turns around to try and make his way to one of the stools to sit and wait for his order.

"I'm fine." Zayn nods and smiles at the floor, walking past Harry and thus, ending the conversation.

Harry quickly places his own order before he finds himself standing at Zayn's side again.

"Can I sit?" He asks and looks at the vacant seat next to Zayn.

"If you must." Zayn extends his hand and shrugs.

Harry sighs and pulls his bag over his head to sit it down on the table. "Zayn... what's up with you?" He asks, tired of this weird cat and mouse game that's going on between the two of them.

Zayn remains silent and picks at his fingernail.

"Do you remember what happ-"

"Yea I do. It was nothing."

"You can't keep saying that it's nothing. I mean -"

"I have borderline personality disorder, okay?!" Zayn almost shouts and slams his hand down on the table.

"BLACK COFFEE NO SUGAR AND ONE CHOCOLATE MUFFIN." The waitress shouts out Zayn's order and places it on the counter for him to come and pick it up.

Harry stares at Zayn, his lips slightly parted.

Okay. This explains so much.

"Not that it's any of your fucking business, but now that you know, can you leave me the fuck alone with your twenty questions?" Zayn sneers before getting up harshly and collecting his food.

Harry forgets about his order and runs after Zayn.

He remembers learning the basics of borderline personality disorder and can't believe he didn't pick it up with Zayn.

"Zayn! Zayn," Harry jogs up to him, but now finds that he doesn't know what exactly to say.

Zayn turns his head sharply to look at Harry and cuts him off. "I don't need your sympathy. I don't need anything from some psych student like you. I'm not some experiment or whatever for you to analyse.

"I told you that I don't do that. Jesus, you can put your guard down when you're around me." Harry said, slightly annoyed at the fact that Zayn didn't trust him.

He quickly calmed himself and tried to understand Zayn's position. Of course he wouldn't trust him immediately. They barely knew each other - aside from the basics.

"I'm sorry." Harry said for the third time now. "Sorry for all the questions and stuff."

"So what, are you coming with me to practice?" Zayn asks him, ignoring his apology.

"Is it at the university again?"

"Yea."

"Well then, yea. I was heading there anyway."

Both boys are silent again as they walk until Zayn sneaks a glance at Harry's empty hands.

"Your coffee?"

"Oh," Harry pulls a face and waves his hand. "It's fine." He wasn't that tired anymore.

"Why do you keep hanging around me when I've been treating you like shit?" Zayn asks Harry quietly, making sure to keep his eyes fixed on the street.

Harry turned to look at Zayn and frowned. He couldn't answer that question.

Zayn didn't mean to lash out at him, he just couldn't help it. He had a lot of things going on that he didn't know how to handle.

Zayn could feel Harry's eyes on him and turned to match his stare when he didn't receive an answer from him.

Both boys stared at each other as they walked.

"Do you want to hang out later?"

Zayn didn't try to hide the surprise from his face once the question hit his ears.

"As friends?" Harry added.

"We're not friends." Zayn chuckled and Harry shrugged.

"Well then, as a one night stand? I don't know what else to call us?" Harry laughed and Zayn smiled and closed his eyes, letting out a deep sigh.

"Yea fine. Whatever." He agreed, lightheartedly.