chapter 32

The buzzing of the tattoo gun was an all too familiar sound to Zayn's ears. The same could be said about the feeling of the needle piercing through his skin. He closed his eyes as the pain intensified as the tattoo artist neared the end of the piece.

"All done." The burly man said, and all Zayn could hear was the sound of Radiohead filtering through the speakers and filling up the blue room. "Happy?" The tattoo artist walked up to stand beside Zayn while he inspected his skin.

"Very. Thank you."

***

It was Wednesday afternoon and soccer practice was just about to start, with the boys all warming up in their preferred ways. Zayn was rolling his ankles to get his joints ready for the afternoon and hadn't notice someone walk up behind him.

"You don't remember me. Do you?"

Zayn turned to see a tall brunette man standing next to him. A smug yet curious look on his face. Zayn knew that he was a defender, but other than that he really didn't know anything else about him. "Should I?"

"Well, we went to school together - for a few years only though. Then I moved away."

A crooked smile slowly formed on his face as the realisation set in on Zayn's face.

A deep frown formed on his face and his nostrils flared slightly as memories came rushing back to him. This was one of the kids who caused him hell back in primary school - the ring leader.

"Nice to see you again?"

"Piss off, Shawn."

"Oh come now, Zayn. We were kids. It was harmless fun. It built character."

"I should shove my boot down your fucking throat. Character my arse." Zayn got in Shawn's face and although his voice was level, his thoughts were ringing loudly in his head. "You and your fucking sheep made my life a living hell."

"Really? All those therapy sessions didn't help?" Shawn enquired, mocking Zayn.

Zayn didn't want to think about how Shawn knew about that part of his life and was focusing on not knocking his lights out. "You do your fucking job and stay away from me." Zayn couldn't mess this up for himself.

He adjusted his hairband and took one last look at Shawn before heading for a jog.

"I was just being trying to be friendly." Shawn called after him and shoved his hands in his jacket pockets. Pleased with himself.

***

Valentines Day

Zayn: before I pick you up, I've got a surprise for you

Harry: me too! :D

Zayn smiled at his phone whole he pictured Harry's child-like grin he always showed whenever he was excited.

*

"So what's the surprise?" Zayn asked immediately as Harry slid into the passenger's seat.

"Uhm, happy Valentines Day..." Harry handed Zayn the purple paper back and Zayn felt like his ten year old self on Christmas morning again.

He pulled out the picture frame and started at it until he was no longer smiling and Harry began to worry. "I can return it if-"

"I love it." Zayn said in a low tone, admiring the picture of him and Harry together. He thumbed the frame and then the picture, specifically Harry's face. "Thank you." He turned and his smile was back on his face and relief washed over Harry.

"You do?"

"Yea. We look good." Zayn bit and pulled at his bottom lip and stroked Harry's cheek.

"So," Harry's voice was a low whisper. "What's your surprise?" He lifted his legs to fold and sit on them and leaned closer to Zayn, a curious smile on his face.

"Well," Zayn reached up to turn the roof light of the car on seeing as the car park had rather dull lighting.

"I got another tattoo -"

"Another one! What's this, like the hundredth one?" Harry joked and Zayn chuckled.

He too turned so that he was facing Harry and pulled the collar of his shirt down and watched Harry's smile drop in an instance. He was looking at at his own handwriting staring back at him, etched in Zayn's skin forever.

Harry's eyes darted from Zayn to his collarbone and back to his golden eyes again. "Can I touch it?" He asked as if it was a priceless art piece in a museum.

"Of course." Zayn replied and waited for more of a reaction from Harry.

Harry let his thumb glide over the freshly tattooed area, already feeling some areas starting to scab over. Zayn hummed deep in his throat and Harry quickly yanked his hand back, scared that he had hurt Zayn. "No, it's fine - I'm fine," Zayn explained. "It's just that they're in its' itching phase and I can't scratch it."

"O- wait, they're?"

"..." Zayn pulled at his collar again and Harry's eyes moved to his left collarbone.

"What's that say?" Harry whispered and furrowed his brows at the Arabic tattoo.

"It means, like, be true to yourself - be true to who you are... I wanted to get it done because of everything I faced in life. From the time I was young. All the bullying, keeping things about myself FROM myself. I've finally acknowledged things and...I understand that this is who I am...and I'm slowly learning to be that person."

"Oh, Zayn." Harry sat up to cup Zayn's face and kiss him. He was so incredibly proud of Zayn. It took a lot to reach a stage like this and Zayn was doing so well. He was making peace with his past and present and learning that it was okay to love everything about himself.

"The Friday tattoo.." Zayn started and they both laughed. "It may seem silly to you, I can see it all over your face, but I just wanted it because.. Harry I know that being in a relationship with me - this relationship is hard. It's kept a secret and it must be frustrating .... but you've stuck around and been there for me .. and I just want you to know that you've become one of the most important people in my life."

"Zayn." Harry frowned and shook his head. "You're so lovely, and -"

I love you
I love you
I love you

"You mean a lot to me too. I'm so proud of you." Harry spoke against Zayn's lips before kissing him sweetly.

"This would be rather egotistical if this was your only surprise, so uhm, since it's Valentines Day, would you.... like to go on a ..date...?" Zayn asked nervously when Harry pulled away.

Harry's eyes widened in surprise. "Yes." He answered hurriedly. "Yes, yes, I'd love to." He chuckled and stayed staring at Zayn for a while as they drove.

What a beautiful man you are, Zayn. I'll say it a million times over and over again because it's what you've become to me.