Chapter 4: Goodbye

"The biggest mistake mistake I add wasn't falling in love with you, oh no. It was the foolish thought that you might have even loved me back, if even just a little."
- Anonymous 

The actions stung. Oh yes, they did. The girls were already broken at this point, not ready to receive any more heartbreak. But, fate decided to turn its back. What came next was something no one would want to hear from their love who was already in the arms of another woman.

Lucy suddenly remembered something that her father had told her in a letter just before his death. She pondered about it, then decided it would be most fitting if she informed her friends as well, seeing as they were going through the same thing as her. So, after wiping off her numerous tears, she took a deep breath in, and turned to her friends, both whom had big, crystal tears sliding down their pale cheeks as a surprisingly rapid pace.

"L-L-Levy-chan, M-Mira-chan, I just r-remembered something... something that my..." she paused for a moment, debating whether she would carry on or not. She decided to. "...something that my d-d-deceased f-father once t-told me." Her friends nodded through their tears, as if gesturing for Lucy to continue.

"M-My dear daughter, Lucy...
At some point, you will learn that the hardest part of being a Celestial Mage isn't about opening a gate.
It's about closing one when you are not yet ready to say goodbye."

The blonde girl recited the short but wise advice that her father had left for her before leaving their world. If the three didn't loose enough tears already, they definitely had by now. On shaky legs, Lucy guided her two friends back to their little table in the corner of the guild. She had held by most of her tears for she knew that there had to be someone who comforted them, someone who gave a shoulder to cry on, someone who kept a clear head, someone who wouldn't cry. At least, not yet.

"W-Wait, L-Lu-chan...." Levy slowly croaked out.

"Levy-chan? What's wrong?" Lucy asked, concerned. Even by now, the crystal waterfall cascading down Mira's pale cheeks hadn't ceased. In fact, if anything, it had only increased in speed and volume. Both of her hazel-eyed friends knew that the pain was the worst for her. Sure, they were all dying inside, but for Mira, Laxus had been her childhood crush, and she'd loved him ever since her brought her family and her to Fairy Tail. Without removing her eyes from their silver-haired friend, Levy was about to continue what she was foot to say to Lucy, but surprisingly, Mira was the one who spoke up.

"L-L-Lu-chan, L-L-Levy-chan, I-I think w-we s-s-should l-leave the g-g-g-guild....." she burst into a set of fresh tears upon finishing her heart wrenching sentence in a small, shaky voice. The aforementioned blonde and bluenette smiled sadly -- and hesitantly -- before nodding to confirm their approval of the idea. Lucy laughed, one that held months worth of sadness, grief, pain, anger, and jealousy. All her emotions came tumbling through in one seemly small and insignificant chuckle.

"It looks like we've all had the same idea. Come on, let's go tell Gramps." She finished quietly and silently ushered her two friends upstairs into Master Makarov's office. No one wondered about the beautiful blended mass of gold, blue, and silver disappearing up the stairs -- in fact, no one wondered about their existence at all. But when that mass slipped through the doors of the guild, three certain dragon slayers turned their heads -- only a little bit, but still did nevertheless -- and maybe, just maybe, a flicker -- just a tiny flicker -- of regret flashed across their faces.

The last thing that could be heard, just oh so faintly, before Lucy Heartfilia, Levy McGarden, and Mirajane Strauss were deemed missing, possibly dead, was......

"Sayonara, Fairy Tail."

But before they could step out of earshot of three certain dragon slayers, a whisper could be heard, a soft whisper, carried to their ears by the wind,

"I hope you take good care of her."