Chapter 34: If Only

The first day of the Grand Magic Games was over, and Natsu was exhausted.

No, he wasn't physically exhausted. Mentally, emotionally, psychologically -- he was dead.

After the shocking events of Vortex, his need for knowledge on the Eternalis grew even more.

Waving goodbye to his brothers who had decided to go back to their hotel first, thoughts on the mysterious new guild swarmed his mind.

'Who are they?'

'Why do they seem so familiar?'

'How come I'm feeling so comfortable around their leader?'

'Where did they come from?'

'What are their powers?'

Unknowingly, his feet had lead him to a park very similar to South Gate Park in Magnolia. The elemental god sighed. Lucy's death was getting to him again.

'I've promised myself. I've promised that I'll hold on and stay strong, but it's so hard.' He sat down under the large magnolia tree and buried his head in his hands.

'It's so, so hard. I feel like I'm dying inside, being torn apart piece by piece.' He pulled at his pink hair and sighed.

'Why? Why did this year's GMG's have to land on the same day of her death? Why? Why did it have to be during the time the love of my life lost hers? Why? Just...why?'

Knowing that he was being unreasonable, Natsu sighed once again and laid down under the tree, watching the stars appear, revealing their ethereal brilliance in place of the dimming sun. Before he knew it, Natsu lost himself to the grasp of slumber and his onyx eyes closed.

--

Aurora wandered in the streets of Crocus, the slowly fading sunlight giving way to the stars.

The crowds stayed as thick as ever, not yielding even once to the flickering light like they normally would have.

This week was the Grand Magic Games, and everyone -- young or old, rich or poor -- all were eager for information, trinkets, seats in the arena -- practically everything GMG related.

"Mommy, why can't I go to watch the night events?" Aurora heard a young boy pout at his mother, on the verge of bursting into tears. She tuned them out before she heard his mother's reply.

This year's Grand Magic Games was special. There were also night events on top of the regular day events. Why? No one knew. What was going to happen during them, no one knew.

She wandered further from the crowds, and found herself at a park; one that was so very similar to South Gate Park in Magnolia. She walked towards the magnolia tree, hoping to take a break before heading for the arena once again. That was what her sisters were doing anyways -- sleeping in their hotel room.

'Oh no,' the blonde sighed. 'I'm going to have to wake them up, probably...'

It was beautiful. A distant melody floated in the air, mixing with the fragrance and beauty of the pink petals, all bathed in a warm, sunset light.

Upon closer inspection, she spotted Natsu Dragneel lying under the tree, asleep. That totally ruined the amazing scene.

'Ugh,' the elemental goddess screamed in her mind. 'He just had to be here!'

She knew she sounded like a child, but that was how far her hate for the boy/man went. For the cold, icy elemental goddess Aurora Emerita to throw a tantrum was... something different. In a bad way.