*** Chapter 22: Let Her Go ***

"I found the right one at the wrong time."

Before and throughout their discussion with Master Makarov, Natsu and the boys were in a somewhat dazed condition and hadn't fully registered what exactly had happened. A while later, the impact hit, and it hit hard. The five dragon slayers had spent the rest of their day sobbing, destroying tables-

Makarov was mad, but he understood. At least they weren't wreaking havoc on the guild hall and/or the town, something two of them -- cough, cough, Gajeel, Laxus, cough, cough -- had attempted before.

-and sitting there completely stoic, utterly devoid of any emotion. They, unlike the rest of the guild, were completely ignorant -- but definitely not unaware -- of the tremendous change Dragon Mating Season was having on their bodies. As scaly wings, sharp claws, and all that other jazz that made them 20 times more dragon-like set in, the rest of they guild planned, organized and/or set up the funeral which was set for the next day. And tried very, very hard not to stare at the five elephants in the room.

When one of the elephants finally got up and stomped his way to the door, a path for him straight through the bustling/mourning guild hall and out the door was immediately cleared. Why? He took up a lot of space.

If you thought I meant literally, I'm going to call you stupid. Just kidding. I'm not that evil. ^-^

No, I didn't mean a literal elephant. I meant Natsu, who was angry-

My friend -- urm, fellow narrator -- is reading over my shoulder as I type. Right now, she is like "???". And she just screeched "NOOOOO!!! Natsu can't be just angry with Lucy's death, even though it's fake. But he doesn't know it's fake, so he should be furious! No-" I cut her off. She is trying to punch me. On with the story, I get the idea. She snorts. And now she's trying to punch me again. *Cry*.

Okay, sorry about that; I bet none of you wanted to listen to my depressing little lament about life. Lol. Anyways, back to the story!

-No, Natsu wasn't just angry. He... He was..... outright furious, outraged, infuriated, turbulent -- whatever you want to say. His thoughts ran wild, and they were all about Lucy.

'I loved her,' He thought, bitterly. 'I loved her, but I was too foolish to realize. And now, I only realized when she's gone. Why couldn't I have realized sooner? I would've brought the sky down for her, emptied the seas for her, and raised the earth for her. Just for her. Why? Why didn't I realized sooner? Why didn't I hold on...?' A familiar song could be heard through the streets of Magnolia. Tonight was such a beautiful night. The stars were shining bright, almost as if they were mocking the poor soul who had lost the key to the heavens. As the melody blended with the ethereal grace of the stars and the peaceful quiet of the world around him, the raging inferno couldn't help one last thought from surfacing onto the top before he closed his eyes, encased in wonder that was missing the magic -- an amusement park without the rides... a sky without stars, a song without a tune, a story without characters. Natsu sighed. No, this was more like a story missing one of its main characters. As a small, sad smile crept onto his face when he turned to face the place where Lucy could've -- would've -- been, if only he had been different. 'Lucy would've loved it here, so...'

'Why did I let her go?'