Chapter 14: Thoughts

"Difficult roads often lead to beautiful destinations."

As a certain blonde hurried down the streets of nighttime Magnolia, she thought back on what had happened just a few moments ago.

Flashback:

As a cautious Lucy rushed towards her apartment, cradling a few small bags in her arms, the cool evening air brushed past her a pulled at the hood of her cloak. She pulled it closer to herself and hurried on.

Why was Lucy in Magnolia again, you may ask? Well, the girls, including Lucy, had left some important things back in Magnolia, things that would raise suspicion about their 'deaths'. Since it was in Lucy's apartment, she had volunteered to go, and now slightly regretted it.

Even though the First Master had teleported her here, the specific locations she still had to walk to. Like her apartment, and the little vintage store a few blocks down.

After picking up their necessities from her apartment, Lucy walked to the little shop. It had always been her favorite place to relax, and she knew the owner well.

The little space was cozy, decorated with a fireplace in front of one wall, with pictures and mirrors and frames hanging above it. The floor was covered by one huge rug, with a few stacked to the side. And scattered all around the room were antique cabinets, boxes, tables, some chairs, all covered with many ancient trinkets. Of course, none of them were of much value, but they were beautiful.

If anyone actually took the time to come inside and look around the shop, instead of going to the capital or some other far off place for beautiful items, they would realize the gem lying right in the middle of Magnolia. She sighed. Most people were so ignorant; they never realize what they have and always seek pleasure away from home. Usually, the best things could be found right where you are; there's no need to venture further.

The old lady behind the counter smiled at Lucy when she walked in, not questioning her about the cloak and hood.

'This lady sure is trusting,' Lucy thought, grateful. But then her smile, hidden behind the shadow of her hood, turned to a grimace. 'But her trust will become her downfall one day...'

When she was about to say "Hi, Auntie." to the old lady, she caught herself in realization -- she had a cloak on, so the lady didn't know she was Lucy -- and just nodded then made her way around the store to the very back, where her favorite jewelry set lay, untouched.

The set consisted of a simple silver necklace and headpiece inlaid with moonstones. Though it was simple, Lucy found it gorgeous and resembled her.

Lucy had wanted this set for quite a while now, but never could afford it on top of paying her rent and helping out with all the damage he made. And the old lady knew that. Every time Lucy came to her store, she'd look at the set sadly -- but hopefully too, glad that no on had bought it yet and hoping that she would be able to in the future. But now, as she was leaving -- and possibly never coming back -- she had to buy it, or she wouldn't, ever.

Upon seeing Lucy bring the box with the set in it to the counter, the old lady's eyes widened and her face morphed into one of apology.

"I-I-I... I have no problem with you buying this, but..." the old lady trailed off, wary of offending this black hooded stranger whom she did not know the name of.

Lucy heard the door opening and a gush of nighttime wind blowing into the shop, but she paid it no mind, and often there were some customers other than her who paid heed to the little, simple things like this shop.

The blonde smiled, and quickly thought of a solution. "Yes, I understand. Lucy is a dear friend of mine, I am just buying this as a birthday gift. Please don't tell anyone." And with that, she got permission to buy the set and he old lady's promise of secrecy.

Only now when she observed closer, she realized that it was not one, but two people who had entered the shop. Two very familiar people.

Two people known as Natsu and Lisanna.

End of Flashback

After she had hurried scampered out of the store like a scared mouse, she quickly ran to the magic circle that she had used  to teleport from Clovertown and stepped in.

'Goodbye, Magnolia. Hope I see you again... never.'