*** Chapter 44: The Price ***

Recap: Wrapping her arms around him, she whispered what she'd always wanted to say — and what would be the last words anyone would ever hear from her in a long time.

"I love you."

It was as if time stopped. Every living being in the area turned to look at the scene that was unfolding before them. It wasn't gruesome, it wasn't bloody. No; it was more of a horrifying beautiful, the kind that you hated but couldn't help but love.

A glowing stream of light streaked through the sky, blinding everything with white. One silhouette was shielded by another. Reacting faster than anyone humanely should be able to, Aurora had embraced Natsu; possibly for the last time.

And then it hit. Not a millisecond later then when she had placed herself in harms way for his sake, the stream of magic collided with her body. Sparks flashed, in hues of gold and silver. Soon, the magic ceased and Aurora's life force along with it. She crumbled, only to be caught in his arms.

"L-L-L-Luce...?" With a shaking finger, he gently brushed away the tattered remains of her cloak, with still covered her face. What he saw astonished him so.

Patches of dirt were scattered across her porcelain skin, blood accompanying many of them. Her beautiful blonde hair was matted and bloody, yet still retained its shine. Fanned out around her, it was just a shade lighter than the golden horns that adorned her head. Bruises were visible on her neck, the red clearly contrasting with her golden scales. But despite this all, Natsu still found her beautiful. Agonizingly, painfully beautiful.

He still couldn't believe his eyes. She was here. She was alive. And she was in his arms. Oh, how he wished they could've reunited under better circumstances. Tears streamed down his face as he let out a feral cry.

"LUCYYYYYYYYY!!!"

Surrounded by an aura of pure hatred and underlying it, an undeniable pain, Natsu Dragneel gently laid his mate's body on the ground, protected by a glowing cocoon of flames. Rising to his feet, he raised his head to look at Acnologia and his dragons. The mere sight of the god struck fear into their hearts, despite their crushing victory until thus far.

One promise was the end of them all.

"You. Will. Pay."