Chapter 32: Who?

"Ready?"

"Yup!

"All set."

"Done."

"Check~ and there!"

"I'm finished."

"Okay, then let's go!"

--

"Welcome, contestants, to the first day of the 12th Quadrennial Grand Magic Games-pabo! I'm Mato, and joining me today is Chapati, Yajima-san from -- formerly --the Magic Council, and our guest for today is..."

The arena -- and the city in general, for most were watching it from their homes if they hadn't gotten arena spots -- held their breath in anticipation. But it wasn't anyone special, sadly.

"Jason, a reporter from Sorcerer Weekly-pabo!"

The crowd practically visibly groaned, disappointed.

"Anyways, we have the results of last night's preliminaries-pabo!" The pumpkin announced, which immediately sparked everyone's attention once again.

"In eighth place, with 1 point, we have the guardians of hell -- Quatro Pup-I mean Cerberus-pabo!"

The group walked out, simply and unspectacularly.

The crowd cheered, somewhat enthusiastically.

"And next," Chapati continued. "We have the Amazon reincarnates, Mermaid Heel, in seventh with 2 points!"

The girls walked out, waving with smiles on their faces. Lucy sensed Kagura tensing.

This earned another cheer from the crowd.

His hair -- wig -- was... blue today, for some unknown reason.

Yajima carried on. "The most beautiful guild in all of Fiore, Blue Pegasus, in sixth with 3 points!"

Sparkles surrounded the flashy guild as they made an appearance.

And another, somewhat hesitant. Blue Pegasus was down to sixth?

"The guild with a wizard saint, Lamia Scale, in fifth with 4 points!"

The group walked in, emanating power.

Even more hesitant. Who was on top?

"The roaring tigers, Sabertooth, in fourth with 5 points!"

With smirks on their faces, the tigers and their fur lined clothes could be seen. Yukino stiffened, and Kagura even more so.

What was going on? While excited, the crowd was growing uneasy.

"The fairies with tails, Fairy Tail, in third with 6 points!"

Fairy Tail walked out, as jubilant as ever.

This was strange. Fairy Tail? In third? Seriously, who was taking them all down. Oh, there was still the Fateium, aka Winged Fate. Probably some new guild just got lucky...

"And in second..." Chapati trailed off, building the suspense.

"With 44 points," the arena was filled with gasps. The difference was so significant.

"Your favorite guild, Winged Fate! Or as you like, the Fateium!"

The power emanated from Lamia Scale and the other guilds was nothing compared to this. Most people had never experienced such a high magic level firsthand before, and were overwhelmed by the power. Luckily, the Fateium had tuned it down just enough so no one would pass out.

Silence hung thick in the air for a split second before the complete chaos ensued, with parts of the crowd cheering and others feeling confused.

Who had beaten Winged Fate? Everyone knew the godly powers that the Fateium possessed -- especially Natsu Dragneel, but there was still someone better? Someone more powerful? Or was it just a new guild struck with beginners luck?

The Fateium too, had opted for the hooded cloak attire today, but didn't wear their hoods. Their black cloaks billowed in the wind, with the marks on the black reflecting the sunlight. A bloody burgundy, a steely gray, a flashy yellow, a blinding white, and a dark, dark, dark, dark red. They had also chosen to have their horns on full display, and chose to retract their wings. Nothing flashy, but just a dismissive wave of Natsu's hand sent the crowd roaring with applause.

"In first place..." Yajima paused, and just like the blue-wigged man beside him, built up the suspense.

"Is Eternal Destiny, with 50 points!"

Murmuring could be heard. Eternal Destiny? Definitely a new guild. Beginners luck? With the margin they had beat the Fateium by, it definitely didn't look like it.

As five hood and cloak clad figures stepped out from their designated spot in a perfect V formation, everyone held their breath.

"Meet the Emerita sisters, or as most of you probably know them better as...

the Eternalis."