Chapter 38: Eavesdroppers

After the Night Games had finished, Aurora and co. decided to take a stroll.

"Hah," Morgiana whispered self-mockingly. "Last time we were here, I had a sword to a certain someone's throat and her life in my hands."

Steia blushed at the memory. "H-Hey!!" She protested. "I was just a weak little mage back then!"

Celisa and Josa giggled while Aurora patted the two on the back. "There, there." She cooed, as if silencing babies. "Don't argue, Morgiana, Steia. You're both strong, so let's forget about the past."

Out of nowhere, the exceeds and Mavis appeared.

"Ma-I mean, Master-san...!" Celisa gulped. Had anyone heard that and deciphered it, their act would be over. Hopefully, if anyone did, they would just think she pronounced "mah-ster" as "mai-ster". Not a big deal, unless her soulmate was around...

A chilling glare was sent her way. "Ce..."

"I'm sorry!" The petite girl squeaked, hiding behind Josa. "Josa, save me! Aurora's gonna murder me!"

Immediately, the glower on the elemental goddess's face disappeared as she looked at the demon goddess. And the summoning goddess who was hiding behind her.

"Relax. The only person -- people, actually -- I'd want to murder is the Fateium."

At this, the atmosphere stiffened and the temperature seemed to drop 30 degrees.

Actually, it probably had. Ice was crawling up the buildings, covering the cobblestones, frost whispering in the air.

"Hah." Once again, Morgiana whispered once again. But this time, it was menacing and contained enough venom to drown the entirety of Earthland. "And Fairy Tail."

"Aww," Steia continued, their strange "twin" mind link taking affect. "You forgot those two b****** from Sabertooth and Mermaid Heel."

Just as she finished, Mavis silenced them. A soft pink, silvers and gold magic circle appeared in her eye, and she gasped. "S***! How could I have not seen this...!"

By now, everyone accept Mavis and Aurora were confused. "What?"

Aurora answered as she stepped through a swirling link/gold/silver portal Mavis had made.

"We have some... visitors," they all understood immediately. Then, six beams of peace/elemental/summoning/demonic/darkness/light magic shot out towards where the Fateium were hiding.

Er, actually, Aurora and Mavis knew where they were aiming, and thanks to their speed-of-light reactions, the others followed and thus knew where to aim too.

A muffled "Damn!" Could be heard before a big flash of  black and white enveloped the area. As quickly as it came, it disappeared, along with the Eternalis/Fateium and everything in a 5-mile radius.

--A while ago--

Natsu had finally cracked a grim smile. Though forced and tiny, it lifted the thick blanket of tension in the air.

"Phew," Gajeel clapped him on the back, chuckling. "I thought this depressing mood was going to last forever!"

The reply the elemental god gave shocked him.

"Let's go spy on the Eternalis."

"I want a kiwi!"

"What...?"

"I'm the smartest exceed out of all of you. Right, Laxus?"

"Is that a good idea though?"