Chapter 37: Heaven And Hell

"Argh! Who the f*** is she?!! Who the f*** are they?!?"

"I wanna rage too, but you gotta chill, bro." The man lowered his voice. "Look at him, over there." He gestured towards a cloaked figure leaning on the doorframe of their guild hall.

Another man joined the conversation, followed by one more.

"You gotta give it to him; they discussed his dead mate for an entire 8 hours."

"Not like I didn't know he was so much stronger than we are, but still. I'd probably break down if I had to bring up every topic about, y'know, her, for an entire night." The rest nodded in agreement. They glanced over at the door, and the man was still gazing at the stars with no emotion seen on his face.

Soon after, another man walked up beside him and rested a hand on his shoulder. Some words were exchanged, but it was mostly a unfruitful, one-sided attempt at bring up the spirits of the somber one reminiscing his lost mate. With a tired exhale, the man gave up and joined his brothers at the table.

"No luck?" One tried, and when the question was left unanswered with all but a simple closing of the eyes, he knew -- they all did -- that there had been none. Obviously, they had all heard the conversation clearly -- with their god-dragon level senses and since the two men conversing by the door hadn't used any barriers -- but they stil, wanted to check, just in case. Now, that hope was gone.

"I miss her, so much. I thought I'd never hear myself, saying this, but there goes my manliness." One said with a forced chuckle, the others joining in with even less enthusiasm.

"We all do. Believe me, just because we weren't mates in the same sense you were, she was my soulmate. The one many for me, the yin to my yang, the light to my darkness, the peace to my chaos..." Another muttered quietly, reminiscing too.

"Pfft! Who knew you could be so cheesy!" This time, some real laughs spluttered out. However, the joyous atmosphere didn't last for long.

The one who had previously been in a rage and had spat out curses, sighed, wearily running a hand through his hair.

"I want to just give up. To just give up, and join her up there." A sad smile crept onto his face. "Though, with all the sins I bear, can I even make it to heaven?"

So consumed by their grief, none of the men sitting at the table had realized the approach of the one who had been leaning on the doorframe.

"We're demons, doomed to hell. They were angels, sent by heaven. An afterlife spent together is not what we deserve; after all,"

Like a blade to skin, silence reigned until one last sentence could be heard.

"would they even want to see us?"